Chapter 4-15: Positively Radiant

"Class, your attention please," McGonagall called, waiting for the class to silence itself. Everyone was buzzing with excitement. Today was the last day of classes before holiday break. Meaning it was only a few days before the ball.

"Now, I'm sure you're all excited for the coming days, and as a treat for your well-mannered behavior thus far with our guests, I will let you all leave early." A cheer erupted in the class. McGonagall raised her finger in the air to silence the class again. "Members of my house have already received this speech but I feel everyone else must hear it as well. As the host school, we must remain well-mannered and respectful. Hogwarts as a school has demanded respect from the wizarding world for centuries, and we cannot have you all diminishing that in one evening. Remember that and I believe the ball shouldn't be anything but fun. You are dismissed."

Delaney collected her books, walking with Hermione down to the Great Hall for lunch as class dismissed, "Do you think McGonagall has given us enough warnings?"

"I know," Hermione laughed. "Although they are warranted. I mean look at the mischief your date and his brother cause on a normal basis."

Delaney laughed, "I suppose you're right. They can be quite meddlesome."

"Quite is an understatement," Hermione giggled, taking a seat across from Delaney at the Gryffindor table.

"Fair enough," Delaney giggled, thinking about all the mischief she's caused with them in the past. That was only a fraction of everything they'd done. But as she thought of their mischievous antics, the memory of her talk with Fred on the seventh floor flashed through her mind. She had to force the thrill of heat that flushed through her to cool. Fred should have never kissed her because now that was all she thought about. And worst of all, how it didn't feel wrong.

***

Fred plopped down on the couch next to Delaney where she sat reading in the common room. She didn't even look up from her book when she asked, "Come to kiss me again?"

Fred stilled for a moment, waiting for her to meet his eyes. When she did a smirk grew on his lips. "Only if you want to."

Delaney playfully rolled her eyes, "You are ridiculous."

"Ridiculous, perhaps, but I'm also your date." Delaney could hear his smirk in his words.

"Don't think your little trick in study hall went over my head. You asked me in front of them because you knew I wouldn't embarrass you by refusing," she turned to him with narrowed eyes. She wasn't angry with him. She knew that was the push she needed. But she could at least have a little fun with it.

Fred lifted his arms, resting his head against his hands, "You and I both know if you truly didn't want to go with me, you would have refused. You're not the type of person to do something you do not wish to."

Touché, she thought. Instead of admitting it, she shrugged, "I don't see how that is relevant."

His smirk grew, "That is because you know I'm right. As for your kiss comment, I seem to remember it wasn't one-sided. You kissed me back."

The memory of their kiss flashed through Delaney's mind. The push of his lips on hers, the intoxicating smoky cinnamon scent of him, the way his hands pulled her against him, all of it. That memory had plagued her mind since it happened. Though she wanted to hate the reminder, she honestly reveled in it.

Delaney simply huffed, suddenly flustered at the thought of their kiss. Fred chuckled when she returned to reading beside him. They sat in silence for a while, but the air was thick with tension. Delaney had thought about up and leaving to diffuse it several times but she was there first, why should she be the one to leave?

"Did you ever find a dress? Ginny mentioned you didn't like any of the ones in Hogsmeade," Fred asked, finally breaking their shared silence.

Delaney nodded, "I did. Remus sent me one of my mother's old dresses. I haven't tried it on yet but I know it won't take much to mend if it needs to be fixed."

"Well, why don't you try it on now? The ball is in a few days. It'll give you enough time to mend it," Fred asked, turning his head to look at Delaney. 

Delaney met his eye, "Why are you so interested in my gown?"

"Well, I am your date. Perhaps I'd like to see it so I can make sure my dress robes won't look foolish with it," he shrugged.

Delaney let out a sigh, closing her book and standing from the couch, "Fine, follow me."

She led Fred to her room, making him stand outside while she changed. In other circumstances, she probably wouldn't have indulged his request, but she had been dying to try her mother's dress on.

Stepping in front of the mirror, she smoothed the gown over her hips. A smile pulled on her lips. It fit perfectly. She reached behind her to zip the dress but couldn't quite reach it. "You have got to be kidding me," she huffed, stalking towards the door.

Delaney opened the door to find Fred still patiently waiting on the other side of it, "I need your help. Don't look at the dress yet. I need you to zip it up for me."

"As you wish," he grinned. 

Fred's warm hand traced the line of her spine as he zipped the gown. Delaney's breath caught at the contact. She froze for a moment as goosebumps erupted on her skin. She cleared her throat, shaking her head as she stepped away from Fred. "Well," she paused, trying to rid whatever feelings had just erupted from her mind, "What do you think?"

Fred's bright eyes roamed over her body. Delaney could have sworn he looked like he was at a loss for words. But she told herself she was imagining that. "You look-" he began, raking his eyes over her again before locking his eyes with hers, "Beautiful. Positively radiant."

Flutters filled Delaney's stomach and a blush crept up on her cheeks. "Thank you."

They held each other's eye contact in silence for several moments. Delaney was sure his eyes darted down to her lips before darting back up. 

"I should go," Fred paused, something was present in his voice but Delaney couldn't put his finger on it. "You will make a lovely date."

It took Delaney a few moments to regain her composure. After she did, she walked back to the mirror, smoothing the dress over her hips again. As she looked at herself in her mother's dress she realized, he was right, she looked positively beautiful.