Chapter 4-24: The Meeting

Delaney awoke the next morning and just laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. She hadn't spoken to anyone since the task. She couldn't bear the thought that she had known and didn't do anything. She had fully expected to lay in her bed all day until she heard a knock on her door.

"Miss McKinnon, Professor Dumbledore would like to speak with you in his office," McGonagall slightly opened the door. Delaney sat up and walked to Professor McGonagall. The walk to Dumbledore's office was silent just as it had been the last time she went to the headmaster's office.

"Sherbert Lemon." The gargoyle leaped aside as Professor McGonagall said this.

Delaney knocked on the door before hearing Dumbledore say, "Come in."

"Miss McKinnon I'm sure a million things are running through your mind right now. But I believe I already know what the main one is," he paused.

"Do you really?" She had sarcasm behind her voice but her eyes started stinging again. The guilt she felt was immense.

"Miss McKinnon, I want you to know that there was no way you could have prevented this tragedy from happening. No matter how much you want to, you can't blame yourself for the death of Cedric Diggory," he peered over his half-moon spectacles.

"What, so every time I see someone die in a vision I'm just supposed to let it happen? I can't, I won't- I'm not strong enough to bear that burden." A tear fell down her cheek. She wiped it before it could reach her chin.

"You are much stronger than you know. And I believe that you will be able to prevent things from happening with certain actions eventually but not without great strength and bravery. Miss McKinnon, you remind much of your mother. She was one of the bravest women I knew along with Lily Potter. There is no doubt in my mind that you too will be like her. But you must realize that this death was not your fault. We had no knowledge that this would come true with your gift being so young—so new to you. It shows great promise that it will one day do great things," Dumbledore said. By now Delaney had calmed at his words.

"Do I have to keep this a secret? I mean keeping it from people felt like it was eating me alive." She looked at him, hoping she could stop with the secrets.

"I think it would be wise for you to tell your friends, but only those closest to you." Delaney nodded before she stood up from her seat and walked toward the door. "Miss McKinnon."

She turned to face him without saying anything.

"You have a spark in your eyes. Almost like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. Never let that spark die out," he peered over his half-moon spectacles as he held his hand toward the door.

Delaney walked out of the office feeling better than she had. Though she was still saddened by the death of Cedric Diggory it was more of the sadness that everyone else had felt rather than the guilt of thinking she could have done something. She walked into the common room to find everyone she wanted to talk to sitting on the couches. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were on the couch that faced toward the door while Fred, George, and Ginny were sitting on the one that faced away from it.

"Delaney, where have you been? We were looking for you all morning." Hermione stood up quickly.

"I was in Dumbledore's office," Delaney looked at each of the six of them.

"Why were you in Dumbledore's office?" Harry asked with furrowed brows.

"You haven't been pranking without me have you?" Fred asked playfully.

"No, I haven't. There's something I need to tell all of you." A wave of nervousness rushed over her. Her hands grew clammy at her sides.

"Is everything alright?" Ginny asked, sitting up straighter on the couch.