Chapter 4-5: The Summer Rain

The next morning Delaney awoke to the smell of Mrs. Weasley's famous french toast. She hurried to the kitchen after brushing her teeth, where she found Fred, George, Hermione, and Ginny sitting at the table. Molly Weasely's french toast was her absolute favorite. And that says something since she's had real french toast from Paris before.

"Wow, this must be a new record. She's up before Harry and Ron," George laughed, scooping a mouthful of his breakfast. He must have gotten the first batch.

"She wakes up just fine on her own. You just can't be the one to wake her up," Hermione laughed, sipping on her pumpkin juice.

"I don't know, it worked fine when I tried," Fred smiled as if he'd won a trophy.

"All three of you are hilarious," Delaney said sarcastically as she sat down next to Ginny.

"We are aren't we?" Fred laughed.

"Leave her be. Good Morning dear," Mrs. Weasley smiled, placing the delicious breakfast on Delaney's plate. Delaney returned the gesture, eager to dig into her meal. "Oh, I do hope the other two wake up soon. The food won't be good after a while."

"We could always wake them up if you want mum," Fred smirked, taking a bite of his freshly made breakfast.

"Nope, that's quite alright. They'll just have to miss breakfast," Mrs. Weasley raised her hand as if to stop her two meddlesome sons. She knew just how easy it was for them to get carried away.

Just as Delaney was finishing her breakfast she heard a loud pop from the living room. Everyone in the kitchen looked at each other with the same confused expression. Mrs. Weasley turned from the newest batch of food she was making, the same expression on her face.

"Delaney?" Lupin's voice filled the silent air.

"Remus?" Delaney asked.

"Oh, Delaney there you are! I came as soon as I could. Are you alright?" Lupin asked, pulling Delaney into his arms in a secure hug.

"I'm fine. I took the portkey back with Ginny, Fred, and George," Delaney said, hoping to calm him.

"Where are Ron and Harry?" Lupin asked, looking around the kitchen for the two missing boys. Delaney knew he was starting to assume the worst. Why wouldn't he? Nearly all of his friends were dealt terrible fates during the first war. Sirius was all he had left of them. A pang of hurt jolted through Delaney at the thought. Her mother was one of those friends.

"They're upstairs asleep," Mrs. Weasley said, easing the worry marring Lupin's face. "Nearly gave me a heart attack last night. They arrived after Delaney, along with Hermione here. Arthur had to bring them home."

"If you don't mind me asking, Hermione, why were the three of you late returning?" Lupin asked, now turning to look at Hermione.

"Well, I made it to the portkey with Delaney and the others but we couldn't find Harry or Ron so I ran back in after them. Delaney was trying to get my attention but the portkey left before she could run after me," Hermione admitted sheepishly, it was as if she knew what the next words out of Lupin's mouth would be.

"Hermione, I hope you know that however noble your actions were, they were very dangerous. But I guess the important part is that you're all safe now," said Lupin. "Speaking of which, Molly, can I speak with you?"

"Of course, we can go right in here," Mrs. Weasley said, wiping her hands on a dish towel before guiding Lupin into a separate room.

"What do you suppose they're talking about?" George asked.

"They're probably seeing what each of them know about the attack. Especially since You-Know-Who's mark was left," Hermione guessed the most logical answer.

"He's probably going to take Delaney home. He's scared she'll be attacked if she stays here with us," Fred said, his eyes widened to indicate he was joking.

"Oh, he will not. He already said I could stay for the last few weeks. Besides, we're all safe now."

"Ah, well look who finally decided to wake up," George grinned, watching as Harry and Ron walked down the stairs.

"I smelled mum's french toast," Ron grumbled, now placing a piece of the toast on his plate.

"Sounds about right," Delaney laughed.

After several minutes Lupin and Mrs. Weasley walked back into the kitchen.

"You're not taking Delaney with you are you?" Hermione asked Lupin.

"Oh no, she can still stay here. I know Molly wouldn't let anything happen to her," Lupin smiled at the older woman. "Alright well, I'm going to go back to the house. I'll see you all later."

"Bye Remus," Delaney smiled before he apparated out of the Burrow.

* * *

Later in the day, Delaney sat under a tree at the Burrow reading a book she picked up in Belgium with Lupin. Everything was quite peaceful. She found herself lost in the old Victorian world until Fred crept up behind her.

"Oi, what are you doing?" Fred asked, peering around the tree.

"Merlin's beard, you scared me," Delaney laughed, clutching her chest from fright. "But I'm reading if you couldn't tell."

"That's a bit boring," Fred laughed, taking a seat next to her.

"Not when you find a good book," Delaney smiled, lifting her book.

"Ah, well what defines a good book exactly?" Fred asked with an inquisitive look on his face.

"It's different for everyone. That's why there are so many different genres."

"Yes, but what makes a book good in your opinion?" Fred asked.

"Well, I guess it has to have a sense of adventure, the feeling you get from just doing things on a whim. I don't know, I guess just having that sense of doing whatever you want whenever you want," Delaney said, smiling before she looked at Fred. Her breath hitched for the second time in as many days. What was wrong with her? This was her best friend's brother. Although even with that in mind, she couldn't deny that Fred Weasley was attractive. He'd grown into what used to be lanky features. She could see the tone of his arms through his shirt. His long hair somehow shaped his face perfectly. But what really did it was his eyes and wicked grin. That was something Delaney couldn't find the right words to describe.

A raindrop hitting her cheek was the only thing that broke her smile. She loved talking about the magic of books, and his interest in her opinion of them sparked much-needed happiness in her. Fred turned to her as more raindrops began to fall and gave a simple smile. "Follow me."

"Where are you going?" Delaney shouted, watching as Fred began walking out in the open field in front of the Burrow.

"Going on an adventure, of course," he smiled before motioning his head in the opposite direction, indicating for Delaney to follow him.

"I must be going mad," Delaney muttered to herself, playfully rolling her eyes before following Fred.

Fred's smile grew when she met him in the field. Delaney found herself losing the battle to hide her own. This was mad. But it was the sense of adventure she had just told him about. Doing things on a whim just for the hell of it. They hadn't made it far in the field before a voice sounded through the heavy rain.

"Oi, what do you think you two are doing?" Ron shouted from the porch, standing with George, Hermione, and Ginny.

"We're going on an adventure," Delaney yelled back as she began to spin around in the rain.

Delaney then saw George, Ginny, and Hermione running out to join her and Fred in the rain. It truly did feel like something out of the books she had been reading for years. Delaney felt alive as she danced and ran in the rain with her friends, and the only person she had to thank was Fred Weasley and that summer rain.