Chapter 4-16: The Yule Ball

Just days later—on Christmas Eve—Delaney stood in front of the mirror. She had started getting ready for the Yule Ball just one hour before. Delaney put light makeup on to enhance her natural beauty and curled her hair to where her blonde curls fell perfectly on her back. She wore a pair of red ruby earrings and a dainty ring that also happened to be her mother's. As she stepped into her dress she found that she couldn't quite reach the zipper

"Hermione?" Delaney called out, "Hermione, I need your help."

After being unsuccessful in finding her, Delaney put her heels on in hopes that Hermione would return by the time she finished. Just as Delaney finished putting on her black heels there was a knock at the door.

"Come in." She was so distracted by her zipper, she barely paid attention to the door

"Fred? What are you doing here? I thought we were meeting in the common room," Delaney asked as Fred walked through the door.

"I heard you say you needed help and I wanted to see if you were ready," Fred surmised with a shrug of his shoulders.

"I just need help with my dress. Do you think you could help?" Delaney asked as she turned around, allowing Fred to zip her dress like he did a few nights before. He was hesitant for a moment but soon enough she felt his warm hand graze the small of her back as he zipped up her dress. Her breath caught at the warmth of his touch and the warmth that grew from that.

"There," Fred said as he gazed into Delaney's blue eyes through the mirror.

"Delaney, did you need me? Ginny said she heard you calling for me," Hermione asked as she walked back into the room. Of course, she came back now, Delaney thought.

As Fred and Delaney moved their attention to Hermione entering the room, Delaney said, "No, it's okay I'm fine now."

"Shall we?" Fred asked as he held out his arm for Delaney to latch onto.

"We shall," Delaney smiled, grabbing hold of Fred's arm. Their walk towards the grand staircase was silent, but it allowed Delaney to look at how handsome Fred was in his suit-like dress robes.

"Ready?" Fred smiled, looking at Delaney.

"Ready as I'll ever be," she smiled back. The two of them began their descent down the grand staircase. Eyes slowly began to fall on them with each step. It wasn't everyone, but it was enough. Delaney knew it was the crowd that wanted to see what everyone was wearing and who they were with.

Fred leaned into Delaney's ear, his lips brushing it as he whispered, "Go out with me."

"What do you suppose it is that we are doing right now?" Delaney grinned, meeting Fred's eyes. Sun-warmed honey, that's what they were.

"No, I mean really go out with me. Just you and me through it all," Fred smiled.

Delaney searched his eyes for any flicker of mischief but only found sincerity staring back at her, "Okay."

"Really?" Shock and excitement coated his face.

Delaney nodded her head with a great big smile on her face, "If you can't beat fear, do it scared, right?"

Fred only answered with a proud smile before he led them into the Great Hall to find the others. Delaney meant every word she said. She didn't want to be scared. No matter how much she denied it before, she did like Fred. And for some reason, he felt the same.

"You two look close," George laughed.

"Let's just say someone finally agreed," Fred smiled, pulling Delaney further into him.