Chapter 4-1: Belgium

Delaney breathed in, letting the aroma of sweet cocoa and sugar fill her nose. Oh, how it was wonderful. She watched the chocolatier swirl the liquid goodness on a whisk before pouring it into molds.

"How did I know I'd find you here."

Delaney turned with a smile on her face, "Well, you did raise me. It'd be a wonder if I didn't like chocolate."

Lupin laughed brightly, stopping just at her side, "Yes, I suppose that is fair enough. Now, shall we fill our indulgences or shall we insult this good fellow by leaving without purchasing his hard work?"

"I thought you'd never ask," Delaney grinned.

After thoroughly inspecting every piece of chocolate on display, Delaney and Lupin departed from the chocolate shop with bags in tow. Perhaps, they may have gone a little overboard. But Delaney loved Belgian chocolate almost as much as Lupin did.

They stepped out on the streets of Belgium as the sun began to sink over the city. Delaney was in awe. Belgium was beautiful. The Grand Place was positively stunning. The gothic architecture was exactly what Delaney pictured anytime a palace was mentioned in one of the books she was reading. Well, if it was a fantasy book. If it was any other genre she mainly pictured Buckingham Palace or somewhere in Scotland. Regardless, The Grand Place was positively regal in every way imaginable.

"Wow," Delaney muttered, in too much shock to say much else.

"I say that to myself nearly every time I see it too," Lupin grinned, standing with his hands in his pockets while he examined the architecture as well.

The pair stood admiring the scene around them, the Grand Place, the colorful yet historical buildings that surrounded it, and even the tourists that stood admiring the view as well. Eventually, as the sun finally sank below the horizon, Lupin suggested they grab a bite to eat before returning to their lodgings for the evening.

They found a quaint restaurant tucked into the corner of Brussel's town center. Delaney knew almost immediately it was a wizard-owned restaurant even though it appeared to welcome muggles because a large tree sat in the middle of it. Though a tree in the middle of a restaurant was strange, it worked with the space. Lanterned lights were strung amongst the branches, those same lanterns stretched from the tree to various walls. The light it cast over the tables reminded Delaney of the Gryffindor common room during winter. It looked like they were dining to the light of a thousand candles.

"So," Lupin began, nodding his thanks to their waiter when the food arrived. "What do you think of Belgium? I know our trip is a bit shorter than usual, but I think we have a good excuse this year."

Delaney cut into her dinner, humming at the pure satisfaction she felt at the delicious taste of her waffle. It may have seemed cliche to get a waffle in Belgium, but she couldn't visit Belgium without trying one. "I love it, truly."

"I'm glad," Lupin smiled.

Dinner carried on without a hitch. Delaney couldn't wait to tell her friends about her travels, but she couldn't help but feel a bit sad about having to leave the wonderful country so soon. She loved traveling. She only hoped that she could spend her life doing it.

"I know I said we were going to be leaving first thing tomorrow morning. But what do you say we visit Old Town before we go? I don't think leaving a few hours later would hurt anything. We are traveling by Floo after all."

Excitement filled Delaney, "Really?"

Lupin simply nodded before Delaney threw her arms around him, uttering several 'thank you's when he returned the favor.

This truly was one of her favorite things to do, and Delaney began to think it was also the company of her godfather that made it even better. He'd done so much for her just to ensure she grew up happy despite the precursors that threatened it.

The next day, Delaney walked around Old Town with the same awe she felt when she saw the Grand Palace. Everywhere in Belgium was stunning. She and Lupin started their day with breakfast at a small cafe, which had the best breakfast pastries by far on their trip.

"So, where are we going first?" Delaney asked, walking with her arm looped through Lupin's.

"Well, I thought we could start here," he stopped, pointing at the building to their left.

Delaney turned, feeling awe spread within her, "Really?"

Lupin grinned, "Did you think I'd let you leave Belgium without visiting?"

"Oh, thank you, Remus," she smiled, hugging him tightly.

Delaney took a step back, looking at the sign again to make sure she wasn't dreaming. It was the oldest bookstore in Belgium, alleged to be owned by witches. She'd read about it shortly after Lupin told her they'd be visiting and she hadn't been able to stop thinking about it since then.

She pushed through the door, welcoming the scent of new and old books with a smile on her face. She had yet to find a dutch copy of her favorite classic novel, so she hoped she'd find it here.

Delaney searched every shelf aimlessly, taking note of every book they had as long as her memory would hold it. She had yet to find the book she wanted and started to worry she wouldn't. This would be the first country she hadn't found it in which was a little disappointing, to say the least.

But then, just as she rounded the corner to the last shelf, tucked behind another book she found it. Delaney's eyes lit up when she grabbed the clothbound dutch version of Persuasion by Jane Austen. The muggle author may be well known for her other works---and Delaney loved that too---but something always stuck with her about Persuasion.

"Ah, you found it at last," Lupin grinned, walking up to her with a few books in his hand. "I was beginning to think you wouldn't find it."

"Neither did I," Delaney grinned, walking with Lupin to the counter to pay.

Leaving the bookstore with her book in tow, Delaney finally felt like their trip to Belgium was wrapping up. She loved the country and would be sure to visit again someday, but for now, it was time to go back home.

"So, what do you say? Are you ready to return to the madness back home?" Lupin grinned, offering his arm for Delaney to latch onto. They both knew she'd be leaving soon to stay with the Weasleys for the Quidditch World Cup and their summer together would be cut short, but this trip was all that they needed.

A smile graced her lips, "Ready."