Chapter 4-11: The Spider

As the weeks crept on, the Hogwarts students picked sides between Harry and Cedric for the tournament. Before anyone realized it, it was time for the first Hogsmeade visit of the year. Delaney walked to the small village with Ron and Hermione, Harry decided to stay behind in the castle this trip.

"Hey, I think I'm going to go to the bookstore and then to the cafe," Delaney told her friends.

"Who would have thought that we would have two Hermione's in the group," Ron said with a slight laugh.

"Very funny," Delaney smiled. "I'll probably meet you guys in The Three Broomsticks if you're still there."

"Alright, we'll see you later," Hermione nodded, walking away with Ron.

Delaney walked around the bookstore aimlessly until she finally found a book. After leaving the bookstore she walked over to the cafe that sat not far from Zonko's. She sat reading peacefully until a familiar ginger sat in front of her.

"So, where are you today?" Fred asked, leaning against his arms on the table.

"What?" Delaney asked.

"In the book, where are you at?" Fred asked again, pointing to the book that sat in Delaney's hands.

"Oh," she laughed. "Paris."

"Paris? Why Paris?"

"It's a love story so it's only fitting that it's set in the city of love," Delaney smiled.

"Sounds boring. I have something better you can do," Fred said, in a joking tone.

"Hmm, what's that?" Delaney asked, turning a skeptical eye to Fred.

"You can come to Zonko's with me," he smiled.

Worry filled Delaney, "I don't know, Fred. You know why I didn't agree to come with you today. It's not smart for the two of us to keep being around each other. Especially alone."

"Why? Worried you'll fall in love with me?" Fred teased. Delaney met his teasing with a glare. He knew good and well it was a mutual interest.

"Speaking of George, where is he?" Delaney asked, looking out of the window of the cafe, hoping Fred would take the bait and steer the conversation away from love.

"He's already in Zonko's. I saw you sitting here by yourself and decided to walk over. So, what do you say?"

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt," Delaney smiled because that's the thing with Fred, no matter how much she wanted to deny him, she couldn't find it in her to actually do it. She always had fun with him. Who says it couldn't stay an innocent friendship?

"There's the spirit. Now come on, we've got to get more things to prank Ron with," Fred laughed, standing from the table.

"Now that I can agree on," Delaney laughed.

The two quickly made their way over to Zonko's Joke Shop, where they met George standing near the display of Dungbombs.

"Ah. you found her then," George grinned.

"What do you mean found? I thought you said you saw me through the window," Delaney asked, looking at Fred with a skeptical eye.

"Ah yes well, I may have been thinking of someone else," George said quickly.

Delaney simply gave the two twins a skeptical look before she walked over to the display of Sugar Quills. She thought the twins were rather quiet, which made her very suspicious.

"Um, Delaney," Fred's voice filled her ears.

"Yes Fred?" she asked as she turned to face him.

"I think you've got a little something on your shoulder there," he said, pointing to her right shoulder.

"Ah!" Delaney screamed as she quickly flicked the spider off of her shoulder and ran out of the Joke Shop. She knew it was an enchanted spider but that didn't ease the fright any less.

"Oi, what's wrong? Do you not like spiders?" Fred asked with a laugh.

"It was you!" Delaney hit his arm when he finally caught up to her.

"It was," he laughed. "But you have to admit, it was quite funny."

"I hate you. You know I hate spiders," Delaney smirked, playfully rolling her eyes.

"Oh, you love me and you know it," Fred smiled. His eyes met hers and Delaney could have sworn she saw his breath hitch the same way hers did. They were entering very dangerous territory.

"Are you two coming or what?" George shouted as he pointed to The Three Broomsticks from outside of Zonko's.

"We should probably go," Delaney cleared her throat, now turning and walking in the direction of the pub. "Well come on."

"Right," Fred said, now moving from his spot.

As the three walked into the crowded pub Delaney looked around for Ron and Hermione, however, she couldn't find them. "Weird, they must have left already."

"Who?" Fred asked.

"Ron and Hermione. I was going to meet them here after I finished reading for a bit but I guess they already left," Delaney said, leading the three of them toward the booths.

"Oh yeah, why weren't you with them today?" George asked as he and Delaney sat down. Fred went to get butterbeer for the lot of them

"I walked down here with them but I left them early because Hermione is acting as a middle ground between Ron and Harry's little feud, and I'm tired of hearing about it," Delaney said, rolling her eyes.

"You're not trying to help them?" George asked again, taking his glass of butterbeer from Fred who sat down next to him.

"I did at first but then I realized Ron is going to have to realize for himself that Harry didn't put his name in the Goblet, because he's too stubborn to listen to me or Hermione."

"You got that right. Ron can be a foul git sometimes," Fred laughed, causing the other two to laugh as well.

After sitting in The Three Broomsticks for about an hour, the three decided to leave and head back to the castle. As they walked past Honeydukes Fred whispered to Delaney, "Do you want to go in?"

Delaney looked at Fred, trying to hide the goosebumps his whisper caused, then at Honeydukes, then at George. "But what about George?"

"Hey George, we're going to go to Honeydukes. I'll meet you back up at the castle," Fred said, a smile emerging on his lips. "See problem solved."

As Delaney and Fred entered the crowded candy shop they were greeted with warmth and the smell of the hundreds of candies that lined the shelves. Delaney rushed over to the Chocolate Frogs. Thanks to Lupin, chocolate was Delaney's favorite candy.

"You didn't have to buy me those Chocolate Frogs," Delaney said, looking at Fred as the two of them walked back up to the castle. It had grown dark before they realized it.

"Well, it was the least I could do after I set that spider on you," he smiled a smile that graced his whole face, especially his eyes.

"Thank you," Delaney smiled.

"For what?" Fred asked.

"For everything. For today, for the day at the Burrow, and for helping me that day we talked about the Unforgivable Curses in Defense Against the Dark Arts," she smiled again. "You know if I didn't know any better I'd say you're a real softie deep down."

"Me? Never!" Fred laughed.

Delaney wasn't sure what came over her but she stood on the top of her toes and kissed Fred on the cheek. "You keep telling yourself that. Goodnight, Fred."

"Goodnight, Delaney," Fred said quietly, a smile emerging on his face and not leaving.