Chapter 5

The rain-soaked ground reflected the streetlights like a glassy mirror, the city lit the shadows of the night, and the noise canceled out any sounds short of a scream.

Aizawa leaped from rooftop to rooftop, occasionally using his capture weapon to steady himself. He was close now, he knew that Chaos liked to be on the move and rarely stayed in one spot for long, but Aizawa had hope. He had seen Chaos crouched on this rooftop more than once.

That couldn't be a coincidence.

He slowed to a walk on the neighboring roof he could hear something, it was faint but it sent icy shivers through his body. He could have sworn it was crying. It sounded like a lost child.

The closer he got, the louder it was. It was more than crying, it was the kind of forlorn weeping that comes from someone consumed by grief.

Aizawa crossed to the roof, not expecting what he saw, Chaos curled into a ball shaking. There was no doubt that he was the one crying. Aizawa's heart broke at that moment. Chaos was not some delinquent Vigilante out to cause trouble, he was just a kid, looking for a place in a cruel and unforgiving world.

"Kid?"

It was one word yet it broke the air around them. The crying stopped but was replaced by tension so thick it was suffocating. Chaos stopped shaking and his body turned rigged,

"Old man."

It might be an insult but Aizawa relaxed. He was still Chaos, with his smart mouth and rude comebacks. It didn't matter that his response was raw and choked out, he spoke, and that was progress.

He lowered himself to the ground a few feet from the kid, sitting close enough that Chaos would know he was there, but far enough that he wouldn't panic and run off.

"The kid is going to be ok if that's any help. We got word from the hospital a few hours ago. He will have no long term damage and will be back to full health in a few weeks." He waited for a reaction, it was slight but he saw his shoulders relax slightly,

"Thank you, Eraser"

Aizawa honestly didn't know what to do, he wasn't used to consoling people. He avoided it as much as he possibly could.

"I want to help you kid, and I'm not just saying that to bring you in. I want to make a deal with you if you would be open to it."

"I'm listening" the words were small, quiet.

He still hadn't even looked at Aizawa; he was still hugging his knees to his chest and barely moving.

"Do you want to go get coffee and talk?"

A strained laugh broke through the cold air, "You know me so well already, old man." He stood up slowly and brushed some of the dust from his jeans, 

"There's a 24-hour cafe a block or two from here, race you there, hobo."