Chapter 49

"Hello, Shota Aizawa."

The air is so brittle it could snap.

Fear is a biological design; it is a mechanism to keep you safe. Yet as Izuku's gut twisted painfully and his heart pounded in his chest, he didn't feel safe; he felt like a wounded animal, accepting its execution.

The man behind him didn't speak; the air around them was piercing; the tension was thick, the air heavy.

"I am surprised it's taken this long for us to be acquainted. I've heard so much about you." The Watcher was perfectly still; he held his head high as he sat above civilization, refusing to make the first move.

"You are a hard man to find." Words carefully selected. Aizawa didn't want to give him anything to use against him in the future.

"No one can find me unless I want to be found."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

The Watcher stood from the rooftop, turning to face the Hero. The wind whipped around them, icy air ruffling his teacher's hair, ambiance creating a dramatic stand-off.

"There is something you want from me. You come here every day, sometimes accompanied, often alone."

Aizawa chuckled darkly, "Yeah, to arrest you-"

"That's not entirely true, though, is it? I hear everything Eraserhead, I know all. You know that. So, what are you really here for?"

"I don't- What?"

"It's not hard to put together; maybe you haven't come to terms with it yourself." The Watcher moved to sit on one of the melted remains of an old ac unit. "You come here every day after your shift and wait. You don't search; you don't question. You know that I will show up eventually, and so you wait."

"I don't want anything from you."

The Watcher sighed, "This would be much easier if you were honest. Who is it then? I would understand if you came to me for help against the League; many do. Various Heroes have sought my assistance before, even associates of yours. It wouldn't be unheard of."

Aizawa looked conflicted. It was silent for minutes; every second that ticked by only added to the tension in the air.

"You distribute notes, correct?" He finally spoke up.

"That is true. I find it to be more reliable than a mere email."

"And you have notes on every person, hero, villain, or otherwise, that you have ever met?"

"Such could be true."

"Have you done business with Chaos?"

The Watcher chuckled, "That's cold, Eraserhead. Information on your own disciple?"

"Just answer the damn question!"

This could end in many ways. Most of the situations Izuku had thought of ended with him in prison. If he could get Aizawa to rely on him, he could get out of this with his identity and life intact.

"Yes. I have met Midoriya. he is quite fond of you, isn't he?"

"I want you to tell me what you know of him."

The Watcher hummed in understanding, "That could be quite the challenge."

"What is that supposed to mean?" He was getting aggravated.

"Even Heroes have to pay for my services, Aizawa. Izuku Midoriya is one of my most expensive affairs; I have yet to meet someone who can afford his information. Believe me, you are far from the first to ask."