Chapter 21

Izuku was exhausted. His patrol with Aizawa had been the same as the past few. Empty. There was no activity, and it put him on edge. What the hell were the villains up to?

He sighed as he climbed the steps toward the apartment he shared with his mother. Dreaming of a warm bed and sleep that he knew his body would refuse him. His body hurt, and his brain was tired as he opened their front door. The lights were off, the air was still. His mother would be asleep by now, which would give him at least one more day of peace.

He dragged his feet up the stairs and made his way to his room.

His room that he had left closed.

His room that was now open.

His blood turned to ice. Did someone break in? Was his mother ok?

He threw the door open in a panic. And god, it was so much worse than he thought. His mother looked up at him. She was sitting on his bed with a tired face that rivaled his own. And beside her sat his gym bag. He darted his eyes to his closet, and, yup, the doors were open, the back pulled off. His hiding spot was uncovered and empty.

"Izuku..." her voice was small, and he had to strain to hear her even though he was only a few feet away. "I just wanted to see what your room looked like now... And... I... I fell."

"You fell." He didn't know what he was feeling, and there was no emotion in his voice. He just wanted to lay down and sleep. Was that too much to ask for?

"Izuku. Why do you have this?" she gestured at the bag beside her, "why are you doing this to me?"

Rage, that's what it was, he was fucking fuming. How DARE she do this after everything she has done.

"Why am I doing this to you?! ARE YOU DUMB! I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE OF YOU INKO!" tears rolled down his face, and his chest hurt with a pain he didn't know was possible. "EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING I DO IS TO ESCAPE THE SHIT YOU STARTED!"

The ringing in his ears stopped, and he could hear his mother's breakdown clearly, "You KNOW I didn't mean too-"

He cut her off, "It doesn't, fucking matter what you MEANT to do! How about you take responsibility for your actions for once in your life! Whether you like it or not, this is what you have done. So get the hell over it and get out of my room!"

Inko rushed past him, incapable of containing her choked sobs.

Izuku shook with anger. He spun around and slammed his door shut with more force than would ever have been necessary before stomping over to his bed. He unzipped his bag, which had cost him more than it was worth. Everything was still in place. He took each item out and made sure she hadn't broken or misplaced anything. God, could you imagine the shit he would be in if she pulled the pin out of one of the grenades. 

Stupid woman.

He was right earlier. His body refused to let him sleep. He tossed and turned for hours, but flashes of rage and guilt kept him from ever relaxing. He was spiraling again. He could feel it. He could feel the tightening in his chest starting and the need to do something, anything, as long as it was something bad. He rolled over to glance at the clock, 5am. Katsuki would be getting up for school soon, he shouldn't burden him with this. So he did what he was told to do last time, he called Aizawa.

And that's how he found himself in their regular cafe. With a warm drink in his hands and a stressed-out teacher in front of him.

"So she snooped around your room?" He looked tired, but it was Aizawa. He always looked tired.

"She went through my stuff. I don't like it when people touch my things, Aizawa." He sighed, "I don't want to talk about this."

He thought for a moment before he responded, "You know, kid, I'm sure the Bakugo's would be happy to let you stay with them for a week or two if you need time to cool off."

Izuku groaned and let his head fall to the table with a thump. "I dunno, I probably will. I just don't know what to do with her anymore."

Ok, it was poor timing, but Aizawa laughed, "Y'know, that's exactly what Inko said to me a few days ago." he sighed and rubbed his jaw, "You should take a few days, cool off a bit and think things through. Then you should sit down and have an actual conversation with her."

"But she never listens!"

"Then make her listen, Midoriya! One-sided lectures get you nowhere! You both just need to cool off. I'll go talk to your mother tomorrow. You should go to Bakugo's and sleep. You look exhausted."