The Prince returns to Hogwarts

You got to Hogwarts by carriage, you luckily weren't the last people to come up. You scanned the people who walked into Hogwarts around you. A few faces looked familiar to you, most of the other houses, all but yours. You weren't sure if you had expected to see any of them, only some of them fought with the school that night. The rest were sent to the dungeons. You both stopped at the door to the grand hall, you hadn't been here since that night. The school looked like none of it ever happened, you both smiled as you walked through the front gates. It felt like going home in away.

You looked over to Draco, who looked like he wasn't breathing. You pulled on him.

"If this turns out to be something we don't want to be a part of. We will leave and head right home" you promised him, he nodded. Because even if everyone in that room looked at him the way they used to, or ignored him completely. He didn't care, because you were there.

The doors to the grand hall opened, you both had the wind knocked right out of you. The ceiling was a night sky, stars floating around. Aurora borealis colors kissed the windows, all flags hung with the Hogwarts crest, no houses had been chosen it seems, just the school Because that's what was being celebrated here tonight, Hogwarts, and those who died defending her.

People turned, looking at you and Draco, who stood alone in the massive doorway. You felt like you would shake out of your skin. Soft music floated in the air, people's conversations stalled.

"Y/n!" You heard Ginny yell. She was ravishing, in a strapless blush gown. Her black mask hung in her hand. She actually looked so happy to see you. The doors closed behind you, no turning back now. You and Draco walked in slowly, making your way to Ginny and Harry. Who stood in the middle of the massive room. Surrounded by people.

"Hi Ginny" you could breathe once you finally reached them, they were like an island in the ocean of people. "You're.... Stunning"

"Me? Look at yourself! I feel like I am looking at a Greek statue." you blushed.

"Harry" you spoke, holding out your hand to shake his, he leaned down and kissed it softly.

"Watch it Potter" Draco laughed. You all joined, and the tension of the room lifted, even while eyes still watched you, you felt good here.

"Ginny, you really look lovely" Draco bowed to her lightly.

"Thank you Draco" she bowed slightly back.

"I am glad you guys came" Harry spoke, wearing a black suit. With a Gryffindor red shirt and a simple black mask. You were happy you'd added those hints of green. It felt like an inside joke that you found your way into.

"y/n, Draco" you turned as she saw Hermione, holding arms with Ron. Hermione was in a nearly white dress with lace flowers and tool hanging behind her. You both leaned forward, embarrassing softly.

"Hermione that dress is astounding" you may need to find out who styled it. Ron was in something similar to the last Yule ball you recall them going to. You couldn't help but laugh.

"It's a tradition" he nodded, you love that.

You all stood in the middle of the room, light conversations, and complimentary remarks. People started joining in, talking to you, and Draco. Most shook Draco's hand, nodding at him as they did. Each handshake fills you somehow fuller with joy. You even talked with some other Slytherin, who fought in the battle. Before long Luna and Cho came up to you. You smiled at them. Knowing what they heard this morning you were worried about what they thought of you. Instead, Luna smiled, telling you how fit you were in your dress. Neville was nowhere to be seen.

You got into a deep conversation with Luna, as she asked how on earth you ended up with Draco Malfoy.

"Because she saved my life" he interjected. They looked at him, the Draco they once knew. The sad, angry child soldier had become someone new, someone whole.