01 | Welcome To The Castle

"MAXIMILIAN LEIGH SINCLAIRE - HEIR to Sinclaire Corp., a luxury hotel and casino company - will be starting his sophomore year on Monday, (August 21, 2023) at president Janus Sinclaire's elite school, J.S High. It was previously reported that the young heir avoided enrolling in his uncle's school because he wanted to start fresh without his family's connection, but it seems as though he is swallowing his words today." Those are the words written on the front page of every newspaper in the city. And the same exact newspaper was sitting on top of a desk that was inside the bedroom of the heir who was mentioned in it.

     "Who's the idiot that thought it was a great idea to place this garbage on top of my desk?" Max asks, grabbing the paper and throwing it towards the possible suspect, Étienne.

     Étienne, the twenty-eight-year-old butler with perfect reaction time, caught the newspaper before it could touch the ground. "I just thought you'd be interested in knowing what the public thinks about this." He tells his master who's standing in front of a full-body mirror while fixing his necktie.

     Max laughs upon hearing Étienne's reason and looks back at him through his reflection in the mirror. "As my butler, you should be trying to hide what the public thinks of me, and not directly show it to me you nincompoop," Max says before going back to fixing his necktie.

     Étienne doesn't answer and just absorbs the fact that his now seventeen-year-old master just called him an idiot and a nincompoop in two different sentences.

     In silence, Max finishes fixing his necktie. As he pulls it down, he gestures at his butler to come closer. Étienne doesn't even have to be told what to do. He takes out the white peacoat that's hanging inside the cabinet and opens it up behind Max so Max can slide his arms in the sleeves. While Max is buttoning up the coat, Étienne takes the black leather belt and buckles it for him. The belt was long enough to go around his waist and over his left shoulder. He then finishes it off by handing Max the white peak cap.

     Max takes the cap. He fixes his perfectly waxed hair first before putting the cap over it. Once the uniform is complete, Max takes a step back and stares at himself from his peak cap down to his white boots, checking if something is misplaced.

     "Did my uncle enroll me in a high school, or did he secretly enroll me in a military academy?" Max asks his butler even though he wasn't expecting him to give an answer. He's just concerned over the fact that the uniform looks like a general's uniform instead of a regular school uniform.

     "You look excellent in it master Leigh." Étienne complimented, and Max finally let the idea go.

     Étienne then takes his master's leather briefcase and follows behind him. While the two walk down the hallway, Max can't help but ask, "Tell me Étienne. Why the hell am I heading to school on a Sunday?"

     "Today is the freshmen orientation master." Étienne answers.

     Max stops walking in the middle of the hallway, making Étienne stop walking behind him as well. Without looking back, Max continues, "What year am I?"

     "You're a sophomore student master."

     There's silence for a few seconds.

     Étienne can't help but gulp as he waits for Max to say something further.

     "That's right, I'm a second-year student. Now, answer my question again."

     Without waiting for Étienne to speak, Max starts walking again. Étienne once again follows behind him while answering his master's initial question."As you are a transfer student, sir Janus requested that you attend the orientation for your academic welfare."