37 | Ignorant Child

MAX WALKS HIS WAY towards the meeting room when Étienne suddenly grabs his arm and drags him to somewhere no one could see them. "Was that necessary?" He asks Max with a serious tone, but Max decided to ignore the question.

     "Maximilian Leigh Sinclaire," he bravely calls out, making Max pull his arm angrily away from his butler.

     "How dare you. Have you forgotten to show me respect like that woman who had the nerve to smile at me while knowing she was just in bed with my father a few hours ago?" Max asks him, and this time, it was Étienne's turn to not say anything back.

     "You might not know but seeing a slut early in the morning isn't very pleasant," Max continues.

     Étienne sighs and massages his temple. "She is still your brother's mother."

     As soon as Max heard Étienne's statement, he instantly becomes silent. But soon after, his hand reaches Étienne's cheek. He slapped him as if Étienne said the most offensive thing in the world.

    "My brother does not deserve a mother like her. She attended my mother's wedding, congratulated her, and still decided to seduce my father. She was so proud of being able to fuck the CEO that she even boasted about it with other employees. She was also the one who begged my father to take Marcus to our household because she knew it would pain my mother more. She's the reason why mom hit rock bottom."

     "Leigh that's not true," Étienne tries to say, but Max continues to ignore him.

     "How would you feel if you found out that your husband actually has a four-year-old son with another woman? She's laughing behind your back and you didn't even know. How ignorant you must have been," Max finishes, his hands now trembling like he was a few moments away from breaking down.

     Étienne doesn't say anything anymore because he knew that silence was better than trying to comfort him. Not like his arm and leg injuries, Étienne can no longer heal the wounds that Max has had since he was a child.

     "You ask if it was necessary; my answer is no. But don't be fooled by her Étienne. She looks like a sheep around us, but she's a feisty wolf. If you're not careful enough, she might eat you up too. And I don't want another kid in my house," Max says, pushing Étienne away from him so he could walk away.

     "That's not going to happen, master Leigh," Étienne answers.

     "Really now? Then let's wait and see."

     The two arrive at the meeting room shortly after. There were two employees awaiting for them outside, and amongst them was Mr. Emmanuel Arnault, the company's vice-president.

     It's strange to see the vice president of the whole company waiting to greet a teenage boy like Max, but this scenario was usual for everyone. Because other than being the vice-president, Emmanuel and Max go way back. He was a regional manager before and was Luna's closest friend. Max could even say he's family.

     "Good morning vice president," Max greets first with a slight bow.

     Emmanuel smiles and bows his head back. "I was informed that you will be handling the board meeting today."

     "I was just informed about it as well. But you must be happy that your work lessened because when the chairman isn't here, the vice president is supposed to take his place, not his son." Max tells him, making him chuckle.

     "It just goes to show he trusts you more than he trusts me," Emmanuel says, making Max chuckle this time.

     Of course, Denzel wouldn't trust Emmanuel. He's in the Lemieux side, and whatever happens, he'll definitely turn his back on Max's father, and that old man knows that.