02 | The Unexpected 1st Day

MONDAY HAS FINALLY ARRIVED. And other than being the worst day of the week, today is also the most awaited day for a lot of J.S High students. Like yesterday, Max is sitting inside their car, memorizing the map of his new campus, while Marcus sits beside him in silence because he got scolded by his little brother for being way too active on a Monday.

     "Why aren't the students allowed at places like the stadium, greenhouse, and rooftop? And even at the Hall of Janus? What's in there anyway, other than the fact our uncle shamelessly used his own name to name it?" Max asks as he stares at the map that he downloaded on his tablet. During yesterday's orientation, he found out that that specific area is off-limits, but any other building isn't. They never explained why, and Max's curiosity skyrocketed because of it.

 They never explained why, and Max's curiosity skyrocketed because of it

     "You'll find out eventually," Marcus says with a cautious tone.

     Marcus continues to glance at Max like Max has dirt on his face and he's just way too embarrassed to point it out for him. Max wanted to ignore his brother, but Marcus wouldn't stop and it bothered him to the point of insanity. So Max puts his tablet down and finally says, "If you have something to say you can say it now."

     Marcus flinches after being called out. He then scratches the back of his head awkwardly. "Sorry, I don't know where to start."

     "If you're not going to say it now then I'll never be able to know," Max tells him, looking back at his tablets again.

     Marcus opens his mouth to say something, but he decides not to. He sighs and looks out of the window instead. Without looking back at his brother, he assures him, "Max, whatever happens, I just want you to know that I have my reasons for doing this."

     Max glances at his brother and cocks his head in complete confusion, but he doesn't ask about it further. He knows that Marcus isn't going to answer him anyway. Instead, he remembered his brother's sudden disappearance during the orientation. "By the way, where were you yesterday? You just completely vanished."

     Marcus looks at Max and laughs upon remembering what happened to him. "President Ian got mad and sent me home."

     "The president? Does he even have the right to do that?" Max asks, but before his brother can come up with an answer, Étienne looks back at them through the rearview mirror and interrupts them, "Should I drop master Leigh here?"

     Marcus and Max look out of their window and realize that they're already parked in front of the Keep. Compared to yesterday, it's now packed with students.

     "Yeah, drop him off here. Then drive back to the tower near gate 3. I'll enter through there." Marcus instructs, so Étienne steps out of the car and walks towards the door where Max is sitting so he can hold it open for him.

     "Please don't make any trouble," Marcus tells Max before he heads out. It might have sounded like a light joke between two siblings, but Marcus looked really serious when he said those words to his brother.