71 | First Assignment

THE MEMBERS OF THE Omega Society circle around the bodybag with their bodies stiff as stone. They stare at it with uncertainty, not sure if it was fake or not considering how Omega Society pulled a stunt like this as well during the Brotherhood Week. Because if this was fake, someone was definitely pulling a distasteful prank on them.

     "Did someone receive a jack-in-a-box?" Max genuinely asks since this could have been a prank made by his protectors. Just because he's a member of Omega Society, doesn't mean Master Joker and the others would exclude the other members in his club.

     Everyone looks at each other, while some shrug their shoulders. Thankfully, no one received the box from the Jokers.

     "Max, can you check the bag?" Payton then asks, practically hiding behind Felix.

     Max takes a deep breath and looks back at the bag. He couldn't deny that he was scared to get close to it, but if you think about it, the situation that they're in could be because of Max. If someone really was pulling a prank on them, then they were directly targeting him since the bodybags gig was his idea in the first place.

     "Here I go," Max says as he finally approaches the bag. He takes a deep breath and looks at the bag before lifting his hand to zip it down. But before his hand could even touch the bag, Payton suddenly remembers something and shouts, "Wait!"

    Max flinches as he looks back at Payton with an angry expression. "What now?" he asks him.

    "See the lockers on the side? You're on locker eight. There's some equipment there that I was able to buy a couple of weeks ago when I got a hold of our club funds," Payton explains.

     Max takes a deep breath and walks towards their locker while scratching the back of his head in annoyance. He opens locker eight like what Payton stated, which revealed a black coverall suit, some black latex gloves, and even a black face shield and mask.

     "You really prepared yourself, huh?" Max asks, and before Payton could even answer him, Max properly wears the gloves and closes the locker again before walking back to the bag. "Okay, let's get this over with," He says as he gets ready to unzip the bag. But just when he thought that nothing would disrupt him anymore, Max suddenly saw the bag move, as if the body inside it just took a deep breath.

     Max widens his eyes from shock and he quickly opens the bag. The moment he opened the bag, he moves away and covers his mouth.

     Everyone was also shocked as they immediately backed away.

     The bodybag wasn't a mere prank at all as there was really a person inside it. Most of them couldn't really recognize who the person is, but Max knew exactly who he was. He was one of the white uniforms who mimicked the Ashes. If Max could remember correctly, this student's name is...

     "Hudson?" Max asks, trying to remember the picture that Gavriil showed to him before when he was showing him their faces back at the clinic last week.

     "T-That's...That's Hudson. That's one of the white uniforms that was impersonating the Ashes last week," Max explains, leaving the other members speechless.

     The entire room was dead silent. They couldn't say a single word, not because there was an actual body in front of them, but because the body was actually covered in bruises. He must have been beaten up pretty badly that he became unconscious like this.

     "Thankfully he's still breathing. We should bring him to the-"

     One of the freshmen students was caught off guard when Payton's phone suddenly rings. The society's leader immediately takes his phone out to see what it is, and the shock on his face worried everyone.