19 | Make A Mess

MAX STARES AT HIMSELF in the mirror. He reaches out for the brooch that his uncle gave him, making him remember his embarrassing encounter with Viktor. He wanted to remove it out of shame, but he didn't have the guts to do so. Instead, he pulls out his necklace with the L initial and takes a deep breath, as if he's going to make the most difficult decision of his life.

    "I'm not worthy to wear you," he says, finally removing it.

    "Yet," he immediately adds before putting the necklace back in its jewelry box.

     After his encounter with Viktor, Max realized that he acted too ambitious for wearing the necklace. He knew that the only time he'll be able to wear it is when he isn't afraid to wear it anymore. He'll wear that necklace and proudly put it on with pride instead of hiding it inside his shirt. And when that time comes, he'll be ready to face Viktor as an equal.

     "Max? Can we talk?" Marcus asks from outside of Max's room.

     Max immediately puts the jewelry box inside the drawer before saying, "Come in."

     Marcus opens the door and spots Max standing in front of a full-body mirror. "You haven't changed your clothes yet?" He asks when he sees his brother still wearing his complete uniform.

     "What do you need?" Max asks instead even though he already has a hunch on why Marcus wanted to talk to him. It's obvious that it will be about his encounter with Viktor and the rest of the royals.

     Marcus takes a deep breath and stands behind his brother. "I heard you joined the Omega Society," he says instead, surprising Max because that wasn't what he was expecting him to say.

     Max turns around and faces Marcus with a furrowed brow. "What?" He asks, and Marcus approaches him and suddenly reaches out for the buckle on the belt that's across his chest. While he removes it for him, Marcus explains, "I heard from someone that you're planning to join the Omega Society."

     "Who is this someone that you're referring to?" Max asks, and Marcus slowly pulls the belt off of Max. He then looks straight at his eyes and says, "That's not important. What's important is that you're planning to join a club that is—"

    "You can't talk me out of it. I'm planning to join that club whether you like it or not," Max insists, snatching his belt from Marcus's hand and moving away from him.

    Marcus looks back at Max who's facing the mirror again. "I'm not planning to talk you out of it. I just wanted to say that you have to work hard if you want to be able to recruit new members. Alpha and Beta Society are clubs that have the most recruits out of all the clubs in J.S High, so if you don't want your club to dissolve, I suggest you do things differently."

     "Let me guess, that someone who told you about me wanting to join the Omega Society is the same someone who told you about the club's situation," Max assumes as he unbuttons his coat.

     "That someone does not concern you." 

     Max looks straight at his eyes with suspicion upon hearing his answer. "Is it because it's Ari? The gaffer who's very friendly with a serf like me on the first day, and at the same time is the same guy who just so happens to know we're siblings. Is he that someone?"

     Marcus doesn't say anything anymore, so Max takes his coat off and drops it on the floor before looking at his brother to address his initial suggestion. "Then what am I supposed to do? How will I do things differently, when I don't even know the norm?"