51 | With Grace

THE ANNOUNCER CALLS OUT names as the contestants enter the venue one by one. Max waits patiently near the door as Nox makes his entrance first, followed by Nicolás, and then Asahi. A woman with the list of names tells Max to get ready, so he does.

     Max slightly adjusts his peak cap and takes a deep breath. He closes his eyes and remembers everything that had happened to him. He remembers Jokers, the greenhouse explosion, and his training with the Roses and the two brotherhoods that he truly trusts. His experiences made him who he is now, and he will make sure that he won't let all that go to waste.

     "Contestant no. 9, representing J.S High..." Max hears from inside the auditorium.

     Max opens his eyes and the door in front of him instantly opens.

     The audience waiting inside claps their hands as Max starts walking in the middle of the aisle. He could barely even see because of how crazy the flashes from the cameras are.

     "Let us all welcome, 2nd-year student, Maximilian Leigh Sinclaire!" The voice announces, and the audience claps even louder as Max continues to walk towards his respective seat to join the rest of the contestants.

     Max, fortunately, sits beside Asahi from the House of Bishops. I say fortunately since he's not the one to overly speak or force someone into a shallow conversation. It's a trait that Max likes.

     "Alright, here we go. The schools with the most wins are coming," Max overhears Nox say.

     "Contestant no. 10, representing Westminster College..."

     The door swings open, and an insanely handsome man enters the auditorium. The student is wearing a red and gold uniform that Max is quite familiar with since most politicians attend this school. At least five elected presidents from different countries came from Westminster College as well so it's been around for a very long time. They've also won this pageant thrice, which isn't much of a surprise.

     "Let us welcome, 4th-year student, Magnus McKay!" The announcer introduces next, and the student naturally smiles and waves to the crowd before arriving at his seat. He sits beside Max, and with a charming smile, he looks at him and says, "Nice to meet you. You must be?"

     Max, who is known to be arrogant at times, was honestly surprised by the question. Ever since he was young, people would automatically know who he is. It's rare for him to actually introduce himself.

     Though Magnus must have expected a flustered expression from the young heir, Max surprisingly remains composed. Magnus thought that Max would at least look offended, but that wasn't the case at all. So with a sweet smile, Max shows his hand to Magnus and confidently introduces himself. "My name is Maximilian Leigh Sinclaire from J.S High. It is a pleasure to meet you..." Max then pauses for a second and chuckles to himself. "I apologize but...what was your name again? I know it was just announced a minute ago but I wasn't paying much attention."

     The way Max fired back surprised Magnus, and he wasn't able to hide his reaction like how Max did.

     "O-Oh...Magnus," he answers, and the way he stuttered like that almost made Max smirk.

     Magnus felt embarrassed and dared not to shake the hand that Max generously offered to him. Instead, he looks away so he wouldn't be able to see Max anymore.

     "These students are always looking down at us," a soft voice suddenly whispers, immediately making Max look at the man sitting on his left side.