08 | The Battle of Brotherhoods

THE STUDENTS GO WILD as they stare at the fallen banner that's on the floor. Max couldn't grasp the situation, but for the students of the House of Kings, a fallen banner only means one thing, and that's a Brotherhood Battle.

     A Brotherhood Battle is a common practice done by elite prisoners. It is similar to a typical prison riot, but the difference is that it is a lot more organized. A brotherhood can challenge another brotherhood that is higher in rank. Originally, the goal is to make the opponent surrender, but the easier way to win it is by killing the head or leader of the brotherhood. Of course, this is changed in order to suit the systems of the Houses.

To start a brotherhood battle, a brotherhood must pull down the banner of its chosen opponent. Siren sounds will be heard throughout the campus, signaling everyone that a battle has been declared. A brotherhood can decline the challenge but it has never been done before since brotherhoods see it as something worse than losing.

Mechanics:

     The goal is simple. Two brotherhoods have their own base and flag. The first brotherhood to put its flag on the enemy's base will win. This must be accomplished within 12 minutes. If none of the brotherhoods are able to achieve the goal in 12 minutes, then the battle is forced to a draw.

     When all the members of the opponent are down and unable to battle, there will be a 10-second countdown. If they still do not respond, the other team will automatically win.

     A brotherhood can also forfeit. If the brotherhood who pulled the flag forfeits, the challenged will win, and vice versa.

     The challenger must also adjust to the number of members that they will be up against. If the brotherhood that they challenged only has five members, and they have seven, then the challengers must remove two members for the battle to make the members equal. But this only applies if the challenger is challenging a brotherhood that is lower in rank. If they are challenging a higher-ranked brotherhood, they can keep a maximum of three more members in total, which means that if the challenger has ten members, and the challenged only has five, then the challenger can battle with eight members.

Battle Rules:

     To make this battle less violent than the original, the Association made certain rules that will not greatly harm the students.

     One rule is regarding the use of weapons. Some of the association members discouraged Janus to use actual weapons, but Janus decided on himself to still use them because this will minimize the times' Brotherhoods will battle each other since they have to recover from their last battle.

Weapons:

     Students are legally allowed to use weapons, but there are restrictions. For example, knives are allowed, but a student cannot stab the opponent 2 or more inches deep. There are also certain body parts that cannot be targeted. Ignoring these rules can mean the expulsion of the student.

      Guns are also allowed, but guns with bullets that exceed the 9 mm caliber or 0.356 inches in bullet diameter are not permitted. Like the rules with the knives, there are also body parts that cannot be targeted. That is why students have to get an official school permit to be able to use guns or any long-range weapons. This certificate measures the accuracy of the student. Students who have an accuracy lower than 87% cannot be permitted to use long-range weapons.

     Even with the permit, the brotherhoods are still required to wear bulletproof vests for safety precautions.

     Other weapons that are permitted are baseball bats, smoke bombs - or any other types of bombs that aren't too explosive - nunchucks, hand clasps, low-level taser guns, and so on.