04 | The Hierarchy Within

AFTER HIS SHORT CONVERSATION with their homeroom teacher, Max decides to sink everything in before heading back to his new class. He only wanted peace and quiet for at least a couple of minutes, but it was disrupted an instance when he heard a loud banging sound coming from their room.

    "There is never a dull moment now is there?" Max sighs and enters the room with an exhausted look. He isn't really expecting much, but to his surprise, he sees Ervin Walker being pinned against the wall with a chair—a goddamn chair! But the most shocking part about it is that the man pushing the chair with his feet is Ari Faulkner, the boy who sits beside Max.

    "I understand that you want to flaunt your rank and status to the new kid, but make sure you don't get people like me involved. Got it?" Ari asks, his face now a lot more serious and taunting compared to the smiling face that Max saw earlier.

     "Ervin is crazy to hit Ari like that. Even if it was an accident."

     "He's the second-highest-ranking student in our year. Ervin isn't crazy. He's an idiot."

     "More like unlucky." Max so happens to hear when he approaches Ervin and Ari. Everyone becomes quiet when they see him. Even though no one is saying it out loud, the strong aura that the three are emitting is definitely overwhelming. These three, plus sir Barron as their homeroom teacher, will no doubt make Class II-A the talk of the entire school.

     "Pardon me, but the chair you're using to pin him against the wall is mine," Max says with a calm voice that's matched by a blank stare.

     Ari grits his teeth and turns his head to face the student standing behind him. He was ready to shout at him, but when he sees that it was actually Max, someone flips a switch, and the serious expression on Ari's face turns into a bright smile in an instant. "Max! Sorry, I was just borrowing it for a minute." Ari says as he puts his feet off the chair, finally giving Ervin the chance to breathe.

     "Were you planning to kill him?" Max asks with his arms crossed as he watches Ari put his chair back in order.

     Ervin on the other hand glares at Max and pushes him away so he can return to his seat. He wanted to say something, but it's obvious that he's in no position to do so.

      Everyone finally goes back to their seats to mind their own business, while Ari takes out his handkerchief and cleans the seat before gesturing at Max to sit down.

     Max sighs but takes a seat anyway, following Ari who sits beside him. He doesn't even wait for Ari to settle in as he starts shooting him with questions. "What was that about? And what did they mean when they said you're the second-highest ranked student in our year?"

     Ari got surprised by the sudden burst of curiosity, but he smiles at Max after composing himself. Without asking for Max's permission, he moves closer and answers his questions one at a time. "As you may already know, J.S High isn't a normal school. It has its own system, and one of those systems is the ranking system. The ranking system was created to force the students to compete with each other. And in order for you to climb up the ranks, you have to earn merit points."

     Max pauses like he just heard a new word. But before letting Ari explain what that was about, he takes out a black hardbound notebook and a fountain pen. "Please continue."

     Ari stares at the notebook that Max brought out, making him laugh because he wasn't expecting Max to be serious about this at all. "Alright, the merit point system..."

MERIT POINTS SYSTEM

All the white uniforms are ranked according to their accumulated merit points. This system made the students active in school activities.