27 | Rat In A Maze

FELIX, ARI, AND MAX head to the Great Hall to grab their lunch. Even with everything that Max said, and even though he sounded arrogant earlier, he was worried. He sees Busters as someone who's more threatening, but Jokers is still the sixth-highest ranked brotherhood, which makes them a brotherhood to look out for.

     When they arrived at the noisy cafeteria, the students didn't really become quiet, but instead, they instantly look at Max like he has a huge stain on my face.

     Max scans everyone who was there. The brotherhoods were already at their places, even the Royals. There are also at least fifty students with Joker brooches that were present. If things go down right now it would be hard for Max to escape or even make a move.

      "Look who we have here! My new little toy!" Someone suddenly shouts from the balcony, and that finally made everyone quiet. Max looks up and sees none other than Krist Hyusen leaning on the balustrade while looking down at Max with a playful grin.

      The rest of the members of Jokers start walking down the stairs to head to where Max is. Master Joker then follows and goes in front of their new target as the rest stood behind him.

      Ari gulps in terror, while Felix tries his best not to faint. Even though they wanted to help their dear friend, they knew very well that they wouldn't stand a chance against a brotherhood, let alone their leader.

     "How ya feelin' little toy?" Krist asks, looking at Max like he was a kid holding a candy that Krist could easily steal. But Max wasn't intimidated. He stared back at Krist with a blank expression, making Krist laugh at the bland response.

     "Heard from my Jacks that you're challenging me. I bet you were expecting something to happen after that," Krist says as he walks closer to Max. "Isn't it fascinating? You couldn't function well because you're constantly thinking of what my Jacks will do, but in reality, they haven't even done anything yet. The wait is already so suffocating. That's what makes this game so fun." Krist tells him.

     Max still doesn't say anything. But as he continues to stare, Max could tell that something was off about him. It was like he was putting on an act to impress someone.

     "Don't flatter yourself," Max finally says, "I wasn't really thinking about it. I'm actually thinking about what my lunch would be because I'm starving." Max taunts, making the side of Krist's mouth twitch a little.

     "If you may excuse me, I have to eat my lunch," Max says before bravely walking away from the brotherhood leader.

     Everyone was surprised by the action, especially Krist, so Krist immediately grabs Max's shoulder to stop him. "What's this? Are you really going to walk away from me? You don't find me a worthy opponent? Am I weak to you little toy? If I am, tell it straight to my face," he says, the grip of his hand on Max's shoulder getting tighter and tighter.

     Everyone in the Great Hall falls silent. Max couldn't move, and neither were Ari and Felix. But Marcus, who wasn't going to let Krist touch his brother any longer, stood up from his seat and got ready to run towards them.

     "Hands off the prize Master Joker." Someone suddenly says from the other balcony, making Marcus stop.

      Everyone looks up and sees Viktor leaning on the balustrade. His prince, Kim Hee-joon, standing right beside him with his arms crossed.

     Viktor was looking at Krist and Max, and when Krist looked back at him, he starts gesturing at his own collar as he says, "He's wearing an official brooch given by the president himself. If you don't let go of the white uniform, you'll be in big trouble."