70 | Society Assembly

THE SCHOOL BELL RINGS and the students practically jump out of their seats because of pure excitement. Today was the last Friday of the month, which means that the students don't have classes, and for the rest of the day, they're required to head to their clubs.

     "Max, are you ready?" Felix asks as he approaches Max's seat

     Max, who looked like he was daydreaming, suddenly flinches when he felt Felix touch his shoulder.

     "S-Sorry...did I surprise you?" Felix asks with a worried tone.

     Max blinks back to reality and tries to laugh it off before standing from his seat and grabbing hold of his bag. "No, I'm sorry. I was just thinking of something."

     "Hey, are you okay?" Ari - who's sitting beside him - asks while Ervin appears behind them.

     Max looks at his friends who have worried expressions on their faces. It's already been four days since Max's conversation with his father back at the clinic. Max didn't tell anyone about it because he knew that what happened that day is only between him and his father.

     After their conversation, he and Denzel didn't say anything to each other anymore. Max didn't know how to react so he remained silent. And when they were about to go back home, Max couldn't believe that Denzel didn't even have a driver or a bodyguard with him so Denzel actually drove Max himself.

     Étienne didn't say anything either since Max looked so lost and confused when he got back. Even Marcus didn't say anything. Their house was just dead silent.

     Max was lost and confused, not because his father apologized to him for the first time, but because it felt like Denzel he was begging him than apologizing. It felt like he didn't really want to take Max's inheritance away from him, but instead, he simply couldn't, and that thought alone worried him. Now he's having second thoughts on whether or not he should really take back the company, or if it's the right thing to do.

     "I'm fine. This time, they aren't empty words," Max says with a genuine smile.

     Felix, Ari, and Ervin look at each other after hearing their friend's answer. They knew that Max was hiding something from them, but they knew that it's better to just let it go for now.

     "Well, I'm heading to the library. How about you guys?" Ari asks to change the mood.

     The group of friends walks their way outside their classroom as Ervin answers, "I'm heading to the pool area. You guys are heading to the Hall of Janus right? Let's walk there together since the pool is just beside that building."

     Felix nods his head, and the three of them walk in opposite direction from Ari who was heading to a different building.

     "Looks like I'm going home late again. We have a tournament next month and our coach is making us practice like mad since the senior students already graduated and most of the members of our team haven't won a medal before," Ervin shares while they continue to walk down the hallway.

     "But aren't you like a swimming prodigy?" Felix asks.

     "I can't really say I'm a prodigy. My grandfather, my father, and two of my uncles are Olympic medalists. My dad alone won a medal twelve times, so growing up, I always wanted to be like them," Ervin answers with a shy smile, making both Felix and Max smile back at him since it was rare for Ervin to open up something like that.

     "And your mom's a lawyer, right? If I remember correctly you mentioned before that she has a law firm" Max asks next.

     "She does."