83 | The Awaited Comeback

ÉTIENNE TAKES A DEEP breath and focuses his attention on the road in front of him. He then looks at the rearview mirror and spots Max sitting at the back, wearing a white suit that fits him perfectly.

     Looking at his young master suddenly made him smile. He was reminded of the time that he went to Luna's room, and she was holding Max in her arms. Max was crying, and as soon as he saw Étienne's face, the young heir immediately stopped. Étienne was only eleven years old, and his father told him that Max will be his master now, and it is his duty to serve and protect him.

     Despite working as a butler all his life, Étienne never hated the Lemieux family. Three generations of Étienne's family have already served them, and all of them have been loyal to the Lemieux's.

     All the butlers under their family have a complete education, as well as butler training and etiquette training. They also get to hone different skills that they wish to focus on, skills such as cooking, painting, calligraphy, and even horseback riding.

     Being a butler from a well-known family is a great privilege, yet it requires a lot of training, which is why most of the time the families don't change butlers anymore.

     Étienne has enjoyed all the benefits of being a butler of the Lemieux family since he was young, and he has no shame for it. But the greatest thing that has ever happened to Étienne is when Max was introduced to him.

     When Étienne's father died, Max became Étienne's only family. He was a friend, a brother, and sometimes even his son. He witnessed him grow from a stubborn child to a strong-willed man, and Étienne can't be prouder.

     Étienne has protected Max from everything and everyone. He has done everything to make sure Max grows up with no worries, and that included the secrets that Max believes is being kept from him.

     "Will you be alright, master?" Étienne finally asks as he glances back at Max who had a serious expression on his face.

     Max doesn't answer immediately. He takes a deep breath and reaches something out from his shirt. It was his necklace.

     "I'll be fine. I only need to talk to Mr. Mills. After that I'll leave," Max reassures him, but Étienne knows that it's not going to be as easy as that. Even if they were in the same room, talking to chairman Mills was a very challenging task, especially for someone like Max.

     "Your father will be at that party, and I am certain that other people there will do everything they can to stop you from getting close to the chairman. Do you have any plans if that ever happens?" Étienne then asks, and Max finally looks back at his butler with a more serious expression on his face.

     "I have done and experienced unimaginable things just for this night, so I will not let anyone, even my father, stop me," Max answers. "Besides, I have friends at the party who will gladly help me with my plans, so there is no need for you to be worried."

     Étienne was about to say something back to Max, but Max immediately adds, "What you should be more worried about is the task that I've given you. I am assuming you're already working on it."

     Étienne gulps and grips on the steering wheel before looking away from the rearview mirror. "Your request is quite difficult, master Leigh."

     "Difficult because you can't find anything, or because you already know everything and you're not telling me anything about it," Max then tells him, and Étienne could only sigh in frustration.

     "No, master, I will look into it. I will find them no matter what," Étienne tells Max, and Max doesn't say anything about it and finally removes his hand from his necklace.