XXXVIII: Evolution

I slowly opened my eyes

I slowly opened my eyes. A soft scent of chamomile oil mesmerized the nostrils. It was so refreshing. Cool Sweet. Hydrating. The air diffuser humidifier was on that dispersed this amazing fragrance in the air which enlightened my mood.

I smiled to myself. Sitting up on the squishy mattress, I stretched out my arms and limbs to crack the bones. I ruffled my hair as I forced back my head in peace. Yes, I was happy. Jovial. And ready to throw all the tensions, stress and strain.

I wanted to start afresh. Lead a new phase of life that has no connection with the virtual world. I want to stay in touch with the real Earth.

As I was ruminating my plans for a new me, one thing hit my senses.

My outfit.

A white neck top and black jeans. A black velvet blazer resting around the desk chair. That's what I wore last time at the clinic as far as I can remember.

Why didn't I change my clothes before falling asleep? Did something happen last night?

Well, I can't recall much just that I was at some restaurant I don't know what took over me after that.

My brows developed a frown and my lips curved a pot. I shrugged and bounced off from the bed.

Nobody came to wake me up today yet I woke up much earlier. I decided to take a warm shower I scuttled into the lavatory and turned the hot water faucet in the shower. The lukewarm hot droplets brushed down my renovated skin cells, soaking them until they are soft and plump. The mirror started to cloud with steam. The foggy atmosphere blurred the mirror and little drops of water slid down its surface.

I paused the flow of water. My toes were drowned under the hot water flowing to the sink on the plated floor. I smelled like jasmine. The hair strands stuck together as thick black laces. I effaced my skin with a white bath towel.

Moving over in front of the mirror, I rubbed the glass with my palm to release the clear transparent surface that picturized my features. The reflection showed the new me, the real me.

Cheeks grew rosy because of the hot touch-up. Brown pair of iris that now glittered the feet of freedom. Semi-dried hair locks sprinkled on my forehead, ears and temples. It was my evolution.

***

"Good morning uncle," I greeted while sitting down on the couch opposite uncle's.

He looked up at me but didn't show any motion of it to be a good morning yet. He fixed his specs as he threw a cold glance.

"Uncle?" I muttered noting his moves.

He placed the newspaper pages aside. The glasses were taken down by a pair of fingers and he paid his full attention to me.

"Do you know what you did last eve?" His voice was rough and stern.

I shook my skull sideways.

"You were drunk. Too drunk that you collapsed. What was that for? For celebrating your grandpa's death?!" He almost yelled, his words were shooting like sharp knives in my heart.

How could he say that I was celebrating grandpa's death?

"Uncle, I wasn't celebrating. In fact, I even forgot all about it." My air was low and shrill.

He noticed my mood dropping with every second so he quaffed and said,
"Taehyung got you back last night. He told us that you would have faced a severe accident if he wouldn't have seen you at the bus stop. You never drank so much before obviously, you will faint for such a heavy dosage."

"I'm sorry. Pardon me." I sunk my head.

"Ani. Just this much won't work. You have to promise that you'll not commit such a mistake ever again.You get that?" Granny spoke in her beautifully accelerated voice.

I gleaned a beam, "Of course. I'm already on it."

Granny exposed her energizing smile at me. I walked up to her and locked her into a hug. She kissed my forehead and hugged me back. Uncle crossed his arms on his front as he cherished our bond.

"Mind I ask you to help me with my belongings?"

I pulled back and held her by the arms. "With honour madame."

***

"Helmoni, what is this grey thing?"

Granny passed a vision through my grip. "It's the photo album of my marriage with your grandpa you see," she spoke while folding her tees and dresses.

Marriage photo album? Must be interesting.

I flipped through the pages. There were a whole lot of black and white and brown and coloured pictures.

It was absolutely a timeline of the old couple's lifestyle. The photographs were perfectly covered under silicon sheets even the most old ones. On capsizing the folios, I got my eyes upon a man wearing a blue hanbok with a little wooden ducky in hand.

My brows cocked as I tried to recognise the person. Could it be the one whom I'm suspecting it to be?

I asked to blow away my curiosity, "Ah
helmoni, who's this gentleman?"

"He's handsome, right? It's your grandpa," she smiled sheepishly.

I awed at her well-picked choice, "Wooah he looked so fine then!"

"Yes, he did. Perhaps he was even now," she let out a sigh.

"Oh helmoni and is this gorgeous young lady you?"

"Yes. That's me. I was too shy then. I can still vividly recall the day when I saw your grandpa first in high school. I dropped coffee on my skirt as perspiration dripped from my face. His smile was infectious." She had her eyes on the empty call topped by a floral wallpaper.

I cleared my throat, "Yeah I can understand."

"Okay a lot of talks are left, we'll continue that later. As of now, you complete the given task." Her cheeks were blushing.

I understood the fact and started collecting the books one by one from the cartons.

A moment later someone stopped at the door frame. "Hello, helmoni."

=============
[UNEDITED]
Next part is here. Hope you are liking it.

'A robot may not injure humanity, or, through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.'

See ya all soon. Love you INFINITE!