36. Only The Young

Week 3, February 1978 (same day, continued

Week 3, February 1978 (same day, continued..)

Sirius entered the boys' dorm looking a little traumatized.

"You alright there, mate?" Remus asked, noticing his distraught friend.

Sirius shuddered, thinking of the mob of girls who had hounded him downstairs just now. It wasn't an easy task on top of fighting the memory of a certain Kelpie Jones sinfully sprawled on the ground as she had been hours ago. He had spent the better part of the day banishing that memory every time he remembered her eyes closed in ecstasy.

"Peachy," he replied, a little croaky.

Prongs scoffed darkly.

"Potter," Sirius eyed him warily.

"Black," he replied just as coldly.

"Out with it, then!" Sirius remarked. He just wanted to get the inquisition over with.

"So I see you do have the ability to talk to us," James remarked shortly.

"What do you mean-"

"Must be nice, sneaking around with a girl leaving us all to worry about your strange behaviour. But nevermind that. As long as Sirius Orion Black was getting on with a bird-"

"Shut it!" Remus snapped the book shut. "Padfoot, Prongs is just angry that you didn't tell him. Although I don't know why he didn't listen to me when I told him something was up. You two weren't discrete, really."

Remus pointed a finger at James.

"And Prongs! Sirius clearly has the experience of a troll when it comes to real relationships. They're probably testing it out still and given their colourful history and figured we wouldn't react well. You know well as any of us how he's been pining after-"

"Oi, I did not pine after anyone-"

"- Kelsey for a few years now. Maybe even day one," Remus crossed his arms staring at his two friends.

Both boys contemplated what had been said.

"So you didn't ignore us on purpose?" James spoke up.

"Never. You know you're like a brother to me, mate," Sirius took a step forward. "It's a long story I could tell you when we get time," he shuffled nervously.

"Idiots," Remus stared at the scene unfolding in front of him as the two now hugged it out. One would think they were long-lost brothers. "I'm surrounded by idiots."

"Yes but you forget a key detail Moony, m'boy," James grinned, sending Sirius a look.

"Do enlighten me," he pretended to be interested.

"That we're your idiots," Sirius announced and with that the two jumped him, drawing the poor boy into a group hug.

Their mini celebration was - thankfully - interrupted when Peter came rushing into the dorm.