44. Eyes Open

Mid-April 1978 (same day, continued

Mid-April 1978 (same day, continued..)

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Miss Jones, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?"

"Who was that?!" The cloaked figure turned around frantically before looking at Kelsey. "What did you do?!"

"You heard that too?" Kelsey wondered in surprise.

"Tell me what you did, witch," he picked her up as she tried to pry his hands off her robes.

"I mean, I hate to break it to you but we are at a school of witchcraft and wizardry," she said matter-of-factly.

At that moment a spell hit him in the back, making him release Kelsey. She steadied herself against a nearby desk. When he didn't get up, Kelsey rushed to pick up her wand tripping over her own foot in the process.

"It's a miracle you made it this far in life with such clumsy skills."

Kelsey couldn't believe her luck. Of course, it had to be him. 

"We have to stop meeting like this." She looked at the hand that was held out to help her stand back up on her feet. Regulus Black grinned down at her.

"What're you doing here?" Frankly, she was surprised he held his hand to touch her voluntarily.

"Reinforcements," he said mysteriously while sending a furtive glance behind them towards the restricted section.

"I think there's another person in there." Kelsey stared at the boy on the floor. The silver mask covered his face. "Is-is he one of them?"

"If you mean Death Eater, then yes. Probably one in training..proving their loyalty to the ranks and whatnot. I've seen masks like those back at my family house." Regulus nodded to Kelsey quietly beckoning her to follow him where the second person apparently was. They entered the restricted area.

"He has to be a student! We need to go back and uncover him and tie him up or something-"

Regulus put a hand up to his mouth telling her to stay quiet when they heard scuffling behind the large shelf.

Kelsey took the lead and stepped forward carefully, keeping an ear out for any more noises. From the corner of her eye, she saw something move and hastened towards it.

"AHA!" She jumped over to the next row of books only to be met with emptiness. All that was there was a book lying on the ground.

"Please, for the love of Salazar never, and I mean never, become an Auror," she heard Regulus mumble behind her. The tip of his wand was lit with a Lumos and he waved it around trying to see if they could find anyone.

Kelsey picked up the book on the ground and studied the cover: 'Dark Magic: A History of Family Secrets' She opened it and skimmed the table of contents.