23. Enchanted

A/N: This has literally been my favorite chapter so far to write! Also it's named after my favorite T.S. song and for reasons you'll see upon reading :3

OMG Age of Ultron was on tv today, and I couldn't unsee Quicksilver as James Potter - I just couldn't. 

Ϟ

Mid-November 1977

Mid-November 1977

On the Friday after the Howler incident, Kelsey settled herself in the Potions class. Astrid, Lily, and Mary were at the table with her. Students were slowly filling in.

A rumble of laughter made her look for the noise source. She saw Lupin, Potter, and him walk in. He avoided looking at her deliberately and made a beeline for the seat next to Dorcas. It was obvious to anyone observing him and her.

Sirius was back to being hot and cold with her. Should she go and say something? Before she could make up her mind, Slughorn entered and started the class.

"Amortentia," Slughorn began. Immediately, all students had their attention on the burly professor. "Can at best imitate the powerful feeling of love but never, never," he passed around a stern look, "..replicate it in its purest form. Can anyone tell me what it smells like?"

Lily's hand shot up.

"Miss Evans, please."

"It smells differently for each person depending on what attracts them the most," she quickly looked at Potter who was staring at her, resting his head on his hand and looking at her dreamily.

Kelsey felt a pang of jealousy. No one had ever looked at her like that. Here she was pathetically vying for Black's attention for a reason that baffled her. It reminded her of when she would try to find stupid reasons to talk to Benji back in the day. But surely this wasn't the same?

Slughorn instructed them to the relevant page in their textbook and they began with the preparations. She sneaked a glance at Dorcas leaning over to whisper something in Sirius' ear and he sent her his signature charming smirk.

Would they smell each other?

Not that she cared, she was more interested in finding out what attracted her. Narrowing her eyes, she slammed the Potions book on the table in front of her and opened it to the relevant page to begin.

"I think I can smell something," Astrid whispered excitedly, halfway in. Forty minutes of Potion-making later, Kelsey too was starting to get an initial whiff too but she couldn't put her finger on it.

Across the room, Sirius looked at Jones scrunching her face in confusion but he looked away before their eyes met. Next to him, Dorcas kept brushing against him coyly, reminding him of their hot and impending closet session. It had been a while since he had made his way back to his long-time snogging partner.