15. You Need To Calm Down

Week 1, October 1977

Kelsey was dying. Metaphorically that is. It was the first week of October and she was drowning in assignments. In fact, most seventh years were busy reviewing six years' worth of notes.

Turns out, professors didn't believe that free time was a luxury meant for those in their last year. This is how between successfully making amends with Astrid and keeping up with all her classes, she forgot one tiny detail; the danger of a Sirius Black unchecked.

He wasn't anything if not petty and creative with pranks. He had six years of practice with his comrades in mischief. And petty he was. With most students busy writing essays, he masterfully managed to get by with his thanks to help from Remus. This gave him ample time to figure out how to go about actually executing the last part of his plan now that he had Jones' dodgy-looking muggle item.

Unfortunately, it was also the reason he was distracted during Quidditch practice that evening. While Kelsey was tucked away in the Hufflepuff common room furiously quilling an essay on 'Key Historical Events that shaped the Muggle-Wizard dynamics', Sirius barely missed getting hit by a bludger.

"Oi, watch it!"

Sirius swerved out of the way just in time. The bludger whizzed past his ear and he winced at the closeness.

"Okay, that's it! Time out," James yelled. The other members of their team groaned and flew down to the pitch. James hovered over to his friend and snatched the bat from his hands.

"Sirius you twat!" James cursed him between hits to his arm.

"What's gotten into you? You're never distracted during practice," the team captain demanded.

Sirius gave him a guilty look. "Stuff," he mumbled.

"Padfoot. I love you mate and I mean this in the nicest way: but you need to figure out your issues with this 'stuff' off the pitch. Hopefully, before she doesn't cost us our very first match of the season," James glared at him, crossing his arms. 

"I have no idea what you mean," Sirius replied with an unreadable expression, pretending to rub dirt off his nails mid-air.

James made an exasperated sound. "Just look where you're flying, would you? I don't need you bumping off my Chasers before the season even starts. And hit a bludger while you're at it. We're not losing our first match against Ravenclaw," he declared sternly.

"A Beater who gets knocked out by a Bludger," James grumbled. "The shame!"

Sirius rolled his eyes. His best-friend was nothing if not dramatic.

ϟ

Good morning class," Professor Dustings, their DADA teacher for the year walked in, looking fresh as ever. It was Tuesday morning and she had the Gryffindor-Hufflepuff session.