11. The Man

Week 2, September 1977

Breakfast was Kelsey's favourite meal of the day. Not because it was the most important one. Oh no. But because it was the only time of the day she got to stuff herself with chocolate-flavoured buttery croissants.

Kelsey picked up her pumpkin juice to add further zing to her meal and was about to take a sip when she thought she felt something hit the back of her head. Reaching a hand behind her head, she felt for a disgusting ball of clumped up cereal and removed it.

"Black!" she yelled and turned around to glare at them at the Gryffindor table.

"Oops," Sirius Black said with a shrug. But he clearly didn't mean it. There was something off about his tone, but she did not want to spend too much time thinking about it. She couldn't believe that this was his pathetic attempt to get back at her.

Lumpy cereal in the hair? Really? Maybe he was losing his touch.

She drank the juice.

Opposite her, Kelsey saw Astrid glance shyly at Remus over at the Gryffindor table. The three boys minus Peter were currently bunched together and talking in low whispers, looking rather solemn.

A few moments later, Lily approached them and said something to Potter. The Head Boy got up and followed her out of the hall. Looking back at Black, Kelsey couldn't believe her eyes as Peter Pettigrew was suddenly right beside the other two.

Where did he come from?

"What do you think they do huddled like that all the time?" Astrid wondered.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Kelsey teased. But something didn't sound right. Her voice came out a little lower than normal.

"Uh Kelsey," Astrid looked at her a little worried.

"Yeah?" her voice came out a little rougher than usual once again. Was she coming down with something?

Kelsey crossed her eyebrows and cleared her throat a little more aggressively.

"Check- check. Mic check. 1-2-3," she tested it the Muggle way, earning some bewildered looks.

"What happened to your voice?" Astrid whispered leaning over.

"Thanks for noticing, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out!" Kelsey snapped a lot more hoarse now.

"I just asked!"

"Concern noted," Kelsey panicked.

"What the fudge!" she got up hastily and felt her throat. A strange blob by her voice box.

What in the name of Helga was that?

"You sound like a boy!"

"Yes! I can hear myself!"