47. Mary's Song (Oh My My My)

Late May 1978 | 1 Week before NEWTS

A bird flew by Kelsey as she sat on the shore of the Black Lake by herself. She watched it flit around enjoying the spring weather. At least someone was having a good time, she thought when the bird chirped and left.

They had been relaxing between reviewing notes when Mary and she came across two girls whispering about Sirius Black. What she learned had shaken her resolve to keep him at bay. Even after two weeks of self-reflection post-incident, she still didn't know where she stood. But then she had heard the girls whisper those words in awe.

"I can't believe Dorcas did that?"

"You mean put Cathy back in her place?"

"Well, yeah..Cathy was going around spreading rumours about herself and Black."

"Wish I'd been there to see Dorcas unleash the Bat Bogey Hex on her though."

"Well, now that it's resolved, do you think it's true though?"

"That Sirius didn't rumble in the sack with a string of girls after Kelpie Jones?"

"Yeah.."

"Of course he didn't! Didn't you see that whole show a few days ago? Anyone with eyes can see he's barmy for Jones. Although..he did snog Hannah and Isabelle a bit but from what I heard, they didn't even get to second base."

"Second base? What's that?"

"Oh, it's American slang for.."

The girls had hurried off soon after. Mary was waiting for Kelsey to speak up only to be met with a Kelsey who was at a loss for words. Something that almost never happened. 

Kelsey was at a crossroads. But she also knew that growing up meant learning to chose which hill to die on. Was holding a grudge against the boy she loved one of them?

In this tit for tat situation, there would be no winner. Nevermind that, relationships weren't about winners or losers. Only about overcoming hurdles together. The last part, her mother had reminded her in a recent end of the semester letter. 

It had been accompanied by scribbles of her dad writing to tell her how he would be happy to physically 'take care' of any boy who hurt her. She had indeed turned to her parents in her last moments of doubt over her decisions. A lot had happened and more was still to come. Wasn't it better to face it with the people you called family? The friends you had grown to call family?

She thought of the seven years that were over just like that. When the war was over, they still had much to do. Kelsey realised she still had a lot of pranks in her to annoy Potter with. And it wasn't something she could ever imagine doing alone. 

ϟ

"What are you doing?" Remus furrowed his eyebrows.

"Readin'," said Sirius.