28. Delicate

Late November 1977 (the next day, continued

Late November 1977 (the next day, continued..)

Kelsey woke up with a groan. She felt really warm. She went to get up but a cramp hit her and she fell back not-so-quietly muttering a few choice words at the ceiling.

"Kelsey!" She heard the familiar voices of her friends exclaim. Finally, she managed to open her eyes to the worried faces of Astrid, Lily and Mary next to the infirmary bed.

She noted how bright the entire Wing was. Had she slept through the night?

"See, she sounds fine to me," a voice called out.

She looked past her friends to see Potter, Remus, Pettigrew and him sitting a lot farther away from her. Smart choice.

She wanted to muster up anger but she was in pain.

She went for a second attempt to get up, however, the stabbing pain in her abdomen destroyed any hopes once again.

"Miss Jones! Oh good, you're up!" Madame Pomfrey shuffled over and her friends stepped back, making way.

"What am I doing here?" Kelsey rasped.

"You gave us quite a scare!" She tutted in her usual manner. "What would possess you to go for a midnight swim in this weather?!" she scolded as she placed a bunch of healing potions on the small table next to her bed.

"Yes. I wonder," she seethed while sending Black a death glare. He had the decency to look guilty. Could you un-crush on someone?

"You had a fever which your little adventure only speeded up. You also have a cold. I'm keeping you here to make sure you don't catch pneumonia."

Kelsey drank the potion that the nurse shoved into her hand.

"Oh and you started your monthly," she announced cheerfully, happy that that was one less hormonal teenager to worry about getting pregnant. "You can have those pain relievers after you're finished with these. You clearly need them," she watched as Kelsey winced in pain once again.

Kelsey regretted that Sirius throwing her into the lake hadn't drowned her. She looked at the nurse in horror as she turned to face her friends and then the boys who were now just as red-faced suddenly finding their shoes more interesting.

She had found the one thing worse than a boy finding out you liked them - them knowing the intricate workings of your period.

She could feel the pity radiating off of Astrid, while Lily and Mary chatted anxiously.

After she finished drinking all the tonics, she lay back down on the bed wordlessly and drew the bedsheet over her face and just lay there.

This was her life now.

Ϟ

Sirius Black felt like an utter tosser.

"I mean," Prongs whispered next to him. "At least she's not pregnant. Now you know she's not off with other blokes," he sent him a sympathetic smile, trying to lighten the grim mood.