7. This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

A/N: So this is January 1977 aka post-winter break during their 6th year!

ϟ

January 1977

"Soo.." Kelsey started off. "Come here often?" she asked. Benjamin looked at her funny and grinned.

Great. Now he thinks you're an idiot.

The day had come. Last week, Benjamin Macdonald had finally asked her out on a date, her very first date, to Hogsmeade.

"What I meant was umm-" she stammered. "Crazy weather amiright?" she rambled looking at the sky.

It was a clear December day. She heard him chuckle.

"Want to know a secret?" he said, looking at her with a reassuring smile. She nodded silently. "I'm just as nervous on the inside." He took her hand in his and they entered the town, chatting away about the latest Honeydukes crazes and his NEWT classes.

Lost in their own world they didn't notice the suspiciously large group of students following them not so subtly several feet behind.

"This is so wrong on so many levels. I am officially disgusted. Feels a bit incestuous to be creeping like this," Mary complained to her gang of giggling girlfriends.

"That sodding perv! Do you see that?" Sirius exclaimed the moment he saw Benjamin take her hand. Dressed in a muggle band shirt, heavy denim and his signature leather jacket, he walked beside the Marauders, with his hand in his pockets. He kicked a pebble off the road.

"They're just holding hands, Padfoot," Moony rolled his eyes.

"What a pedo! She's younger than him!"

"Pads, you used to kiss seventh years when we were fifteen," Prongs reminded him.

"Can't he like keep it in his pants?!"

"And now you're talking like Jones. We don't say 'like' that way Padsy," teased Wormtail.

A rogue snowball hit Sirius on the back of his head.

"That's my brother you're talking about, you numbknut!" Mary called out from behind the boys.

They turned to see Jones' other friends also following the couple. They broke out into an argument over who had the right to follow them.

"Why are you even following them? Lily's right here!" Marlene yelled.

"Hey!" Lily elbowed her.

"Unless you had a change of heart, Potter, and now you're into our lovely Kelsey ever since your moment in Diagon Alley," said Mary, wriggling her eyebrows.

"What moment?!" Lily asked a little too harshly.

"You have been avoiding Lily this term. Unusually so," wondered Astrid, tapping her chin.