13. Innocent

Week 4, September 1977

It was late September also known as tryouts season. Against her will, Kelsey had been dragged to the Quidditch pitch to watch the Gryffindor tryouts on one fine Saturday evening. Lily had begged her to join and Kelsey had relented. She now regretted it, as she found herself sitting a few seats away from Dorcas Meadowes along with her other Gryffindor friends.

At least she had her trusted friendly neighbourhood superhero to keep company. She pulled out a Spiderman comic from her bag and started reading it while the other three explained the intrinsic details of the game to Lily.

Details such as how to catch a hunky player's eye when they came just close enough to during matches and how if you focused enough on their breeches, you could see the outline of their ahem! It only took a minute for Lily's face to match her hair as Dorcas went on.

Their idea of watching the tryouts mostly included fawning over the four well-built lads, on the team including James Potter, the captain, and Sirius Black, the beater. Kelsey briefly glanced at the pitch to see a sixth-year kid, waiting in line to try-out, smile at her. Unsure what to think of that, she frowned and went back to her reading.

Sirius saw this and nudged James who immediately perked up. They told potential Keepers and Chasers to wait for a few short moments and made their way over to the girls. The five girls were in no way the only ones out to see tryouts. There were quite a few more groupies consisting of a club of younger students.

"Hello ladies," drawled a smooth voice. Kelsey didn't bother looking up from her comic. He was just a distraction.

"Hey, Sirius," Mary, Marlene and Dorcas sang in unison.

Lily looked at James standing with the broom in his hand, looking dapper in his uniform with his windswept hair.

Wait, what? With a comical look, Lily shook her head.

"Come to see the tryouts have you?" Sirius inquired. He stood with his broom firmly grounded, and ran a hand through his hair, sweeping it back with an intention to mesmerise viewers. It almost worked.

"No shit Sherlock," Kelsey said without looking up.

Sirius pursed his lips in annoyance. In his seven years, Jones was one of the few people who withstood his charm. However, the few people usually included those already taken or with crushes. As far as he knew Jones had neither. Not that he paid that much attention to her. It still made him curious. The fact that perhaps it had to do with Sirius chasing after her to make her life living hell hadn't occurred to him yet.

"I didn't realise Hufflepuff was busy sending spies to scope out our moves. Then again with their miserable record, I guess times are tough," James commented.

"Hey! Hufflepuff can SO kick your butts!" Kelsey finally looked up at James.

"You wish!" Unexpectedly, it was Lily who scoffed.