14. It's Nice to Have a Friend

Week 4, September 1977

"YOU ARE EVIL!"

Astrid stood at the entrance of the Hufflepuff common room. Kelsey and a few others looked up at her. Her blonde curls stuck to her face, from sweat it looked. Had she run all the way here from the library?

"I can't believe you threw me to the wolves like that!"

It was unfortunate that neither of them knew the truth behind that metaphor.

Kelsey closed her book shut and calmly turned to face her best friend. "What do you mean?"

"I asked him if he liked being called Daddy !" she shrieked hysterically earning some scared looks from students around her. 

A smile made itself to Kelsey's face and soon she too was doubled over in laughter at the unfortunate expense of her best friend.

Astrid looked mortified. After Remus had all but run away from her, Lily had kindly dragged her into an empty classroom and explained the dubious meaning behind it. She had never wanted to commit murder until that moment.

"I told you to call him Daddy, not to ask him his thoughts on it! You ruined it!" Kelsey clutched her stomach and calmed down.

"Can you imagine how much worse that would have been? You lied!"

"I was trying to help you! You like him, don't you?"

"Why would you do that?"

"It's the silent and mysterious ones that are always the kinkiest. It was a calculated risk," Kelsey explained easily as if she had thought this through.

"I hate you!"

"You won't find a more loyal friend than me," she scoffed.

"You know what Kelsey? Screw that. And screw this- Argh! This Hufflepuff doesn't give a Hufflefuck.." collective gasps went around the room. "..about you anymore!"

Astrid stormed off to their dorm angrily. Kelsey's smile faltered as she watched her friend disappear up the stairs.

"Bugger," she curse.

ϟ

"Kelpie! Kelpie! Yoohoo!"

Kelsey didn't stop. She walked out of the Great Hall upset.

"Oi, Jones!"

She let out an annoyed shriek, "WHAT, BLACK?"

He stopped a few feet away from her and looked at her eyes wide, a little wary.

"Where's Astrid?" He approached her carefully. Clearly, she was in a mood.

Without being too obvious, he quickly peeked at her bag that was open. Perfect. He could see a thin book sitting a little close to the outside. He just needed to get close to her.