32. Everything Has Changed

Week 2, January 1978

"I trust that the details of what we discuss today shall be kept quiet," said Dumbledore glancing around the room, taking extra time to pause at Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew through his half-moon glasses.

Lily looked nervously at the four boys, including her boyfriend, while Alice Prewitt and Frank Longbottom shared a look.

"'Course Professor," James Potter spoke for the group.

"Given what Professor McGonagall briefed me about your post-Hogwarts plans or lack thereof-" Dumbledore looked at Sirius again.

"Albus," McGonagall interrupted. "Are you sure about this? I mean, they're still children and as their Head of House, I have concerns about their safety." Minerva looked more stressed than her usual self.

And rightly so. That was the general feeling about the castle that week as they neared the end of January. There had been two attacks reported in the papers since they had been back from break. There was a growing feeling of unease, only emboldened by the Slytherin taunts.

"Minerva, I wouldn't trust them if I didn't have faith in their abilities," Dumbledore said before he finally delved into the reason for this hushed meeting.

McGonagall tutted in displeasure but remained silent.

"I would like to talk to you today about the Order of the Phoenix," Professor Dumbledore's voice was calm as ever.

Ϟ

"Where were you?" Astrid asked suspiciously as Kelsey took her seat in Potions that Wednesday. She had been missing during breakfast.

"Wasn't hungry," Kelsey grunted, dropping her bag to the floor. She felt queasy. She had gotten up bright and early and headed over to the library before breakfast to get some studying and prank brainstorming done. But the sight of the morning's newspaper etched a sense of dread that had been growing inside her for the last two weeks.

There had been another attack targeted at a half-blood family for refusing to reveal information to his followers. They, she and her friends, had heard all sorts of awful things about the miscreants known as the Death Eaters.

She was growing concerned over whether the enchantments she had left for her parents were enough. What if she too got a letter telling her something awful had happened? She couldn't bear the thought of going to breakfast after that.

To add to that she still had the rest of the week to serve out the last of her detentions for being caught handcuffed. While there were still a few students who shot comments at her about the issue, she had mostly forgiven Sirius for it.

She pursed her lips thinking of him. She tried finding him yesterday evening in the Gryffindor Common Room but he and his friends had been missing. She ended up doing homework with Marlene and Mary in the library while Astrid avoided her other than classes.