16. Breathless

Week 1, October 1977 (same day, continued

Week 1, October 1977 (same day, continued..)

"There was a book."

"A book?"

"More like a magazine, really."

"Oh?"

"It had dirty pictures.."

"Wicked!"

"..of naked witches."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Well, continue!"

"Word around school is that Kinky Kelpie can procure these magazines if you ask. For a price of course-"

"Ahem." The shrill sound of a throat being cleared a few feet behind stopped the Hufflepuffs in their tracks.

Kelsey Jones stood in the middle of the corridor, hands on her hips, glaring at the two sixth-year boys. She could already feel a headache coming on and she still had detention to get through.

Upon the realisation of Kinky Kelpie overhearing them with a grossly displeased expression, the boys soon lost their intrigue over the school's latest gossip.

Without wasting time, Kelsey got to the point.

"Who?" She held one of the smaller boys up by the collar. The one word was enough to convey everything she wanted to know. The boy didn't hesitate to reveal anything he knew.

"I'm so sorry! We overheard Black and Pettigrew whispering about it in the library earlier today! Please don't kill me!" The boy cowered and held up his hand to shield his face. With a huff she let go, dropping him.

She didn't know why she had even bothered asking. Of course, it was them. Or rather him. The rest of her day had gone by quickly. But not without the rumours just like this one. However, this was the most creative one she had heard all day no thanks to the git himself.

Pressing her lips into a thin line she thought about her next course of action as she walked back to the Common Room to get ready for detention. It had only been a few hours and the rumours were running wild. Not to mention her new nickname.

"Kinky Kelpie!" Kelsey cried, storming into the Common Room. Astrid, who usually held a better sense of decorum, snorted over her essay. "It's not funny!"

"It is!" Astrid said.

"Arrgghh!" Kelsey stomped over and threw herself on the armchair handle next to her.

"Although, do you really want to walk around shouting that? People might get ideas that you like being called so.." her friend trailed off teasingly.

Kelsey frowned. It looks like Remus Lupin's wittiness was rubbing off on her best friend.

"Although you know what they say.." Astrid dipped her quill in the ink bottle. "The best revenge is to not let them know, they got to you," she quietly went back to working on her essay.