43. Fearless

Mid-April 1978

Mid-April 1978

"Save something for the bedroom would you?!" Sirius called out, making James and Lily split apart from their kiss. Lily blushed while James sported a smug grin as the eyes were now on them.

Around them, the party was in full swing. As expected, Gryffindor had all but crushed Slytherin, earning themselves the Quidditch cup that year.

"Jealous, mate?" James retorted cheekily. Sirius grinned, his eyes appeared hazy. The shots of Firewhiskey were getting to him.

"A gentleman doesn't kiss and tell," Sirius slurred a bit as he walked over to them.

"And that would be you, now would it?" Lily asked in good humour and Sirius nodded.

"Here, watch this." Sirius strode up to a girl who smiled brightly upon seeing him. He sent a wink their way along with a subtle thumbs up.

"What is he doing?" Remus stood next to the pair now. They saw Sirius lean in and whisper something.

"Beats me," said Lily. Her eyes widened and James coughed uncomfortably when the girl slapped Sirius in the face making them flinch. He walked back not appearing even slightly dejected as he rubbed his cheek.

"You were saying?" Lily asked again Sirius had the decency to blush a little this time. He walked away cursing under his breath.

"Nevermind that. Is Wormtail back yet? He said he would check out the restricted section earlier today but I haven't seen him at all," said James to which Remus scowled.

"Maybe I should check the library just in case?" Remus offered. Mumbles of agreement went around. Lily went to keep her friends busy so that they wouldn't miss Remus while James went to grab the cloak.

"Where's he off to?" Sirius asked as he saw Remus leave the party. He had made his way back to them when he saw James undoubtedly handing Remus the cloak.

He thought of the study date Jones was supposed to be on in the library right then. Were they sitting somewhere in a corner right now, snogging under the pretense of revising? Was the slimy git trying to weave his way into her skirt? It made him angry. He had never seen that Ravenclaw so much as look at Kelsey until he had seen them talking that day.

"Think I'll join him." Before anyone could stop him, Sirius Black had followed Remus out of the common room.

"Sirius, wait!" James tried to grab him. It would be too suspicious for the three of them to be seen outside at this hour in the library. A student insisting that James see the latest Zonkos product appeared in his way, hiding Sirius from his sight. By the time James managed to politely decline, his two friends were gone. He sent Lily a worried look across the room and she nervously turned her attention back to Marlene with a smile.