Chapter 20: Everyone's Got a Past

Evelyn

I was returned to my room after the basement excursion and left alone for the rest of the night, minus my nightly dinner drop off from Hannah.

The next morning, Hannah came in, without the tray she normally carried.

I sat up in the bed eager, curious as to what was going to happen next.

"Liam wants you and I to scrub the floors in the library," she stated flatly. "He wants you to start helping out around here. He thinks that you are ready to be a good doll and wander free from your room. I sure hope that is the case," she continued with raised brows.

"O-okay," I replied sliding off the bed and padding towards her.

"He's home, working in his office, so don't get any ideas," she said with an edge as she left the room and led me into down the inter winding halls and into the library.

The library made a flutter grow from deep within in my heart. Reading had always been a passion of mine. It carried me through happy and dark times, a friend in the face of anything. The room would've been what I had dreamed of escaping away to if it had not been attached to my prison.

A set of buckets and scrub brushes sat on the herringbone wood patterned floors

"Let's get to work," Hannah said dryly, dropping to the floor and beginning to scrub.

I followed suit, an angry bud beginning to bloom from within me at being kidnapped just to end up being a maid to a psychopath.

"Hannah, why do you do this," I asked after twenty or more minutes passed.

She ignored me and continued her scrubbing, her red curls bobbing across her shoulders and back as she scrubbed the floor vigorously.

I bite my lip in frustration and sighed. "Your his sister, can't you just leave whenever you want? Why are you apart of this?"

She glared at me. "Don't you listen," she asked under her breath looking at me and then up at the ceiling where I assumed a camera was, causing my stomach to do a brief somersault at my stupidity. She closed her eyes before continuing at a whisper, "He's my brother and I love him. He's not a bad person, he's just made some questionable choices in his life."

My eyes widened in disbelief that she could consider drugging and kidnapping merely a questionable choice!

"We had a rough life," she said with tears glazing over her eyes as the door to the library was thrown open and banged against the wall.

Liam stood before us, chest heaving, eyebrows slanted, and mouth set in a stern tight line.

"Hannah, get out now," he demanded with short chipped angry words.

"Liam, I-I'm," she stuttered, but was quickly interrupted by Liam's bellowing roar.

"Get out," he yelled, the veins of his neck protruding and throbbing against his skin, his voice echoing throughout the room, his eyes pierced mine, filled with rage and darkness.

He took long sweeping strides towards me. I scuttled backwards like a crab trying to pull myself up, but Liam decided to do that for me. He grabbed me by my neck, pulling me up off the ground as if I weighed nothing.