Chapter 39: Release

Dinner that night was much more relaxed, whether it was from the lack of Abby's presence or the slight bubbly glee that filled throughout me that I would escape tomorrow left me feeling content and jovial.

"You're in a great mood my love," Liam said and kissed my hand.

"I'm just happy out baby is okay," I answer sweetly causing him to give my hand a faint squeeze.

Laurel got up to begin cleaning the dishes and I shot up in my seat.

"Let me help you," I offer and begin grabbing dishes.

"Honey, you should rest. Laurel can do it," Liam chimes in.  Laurel bobs her head up and down in agreement.

"Nonsense," I quip and go about cleaning.

Hannah narrows her eyes and me and I have to be careful or she'll know I'm on to something.

I head into the kitchen with Laurel and hand her the dishes to empty into Tupperware containers while I begin to wash the dishes.

I hum to myself happy that I hand picked the perfect dress for tonight. What girl doesn't like a dress with pocket?

As I wash my steak knife I take my time to clean it and then dry it before wrapping it in the washcloth as Laurel goes to gather more dishes. Once she's gone from the room I slip it into my pocket and pray that the cloth keeps it secure so it doesn't slice through the pocket of my dress.

She comes back in and tediously gets to work, making little eye contact with me, so I whisper, "Laurel are you happy here?"

Her head spins to face me. Her eyes are wide white moons and her face drains of what little color she had. "Ye-ss, wh-y would y-you ever ask me su-ch a th-ing," she stammers.

"You just don't seem happy," I reiterate and she begins to nervously glance around.

"Wh-y are y-ou doing th-is," she stutters as her eyes begin to well up.

"Don't you want to leave," I whisper. "Live a normal life."

"Lea-ve m-me a-lone," she cries and flees the room. 

She has been broken beyond repair.  Her mind has become so warped and tampered that another life sounds crazy to her. I want to save her, but I know she won't come.

Hannah comes into the room and begins to wash dishes with me.

I keep quiet and try to mind my own business but she begins to pry.

"What was that about," she asks her voice hushed and her eyes darting from me to the doorway.

"Nothing, she cut her finger washing dishes and got upset is all," I lie, hoping she'll buy it and shut down.

"She hates blood," Hannah confides in me. "Always freaks her out," and I smile widely knowing that my quick explanation makes perfect sense.

We continue to wash dishes, but a heaviness hangs in the air. I keep seeing from the corner of her eye stare at me and it only stops when Liam calls out to me, "Evie, come here my love."

I give Hannah a soft smile and try to exit the kitchen when Hannah grabs my wrist aggressively.

I turn to her in shock.

"I know you took my key," she declares and I feel my stomach fall to the floor. My face drains and becomes devoid of color. "You'll never make it out without help."

I grab onto her arm and plead, "Then please help me."

She turns to me and her normally sweet and honest eyes are tinted with a shade of darkness and regret. "The last person I helped I got killed and I lose my own child because of it."