Chapter 10: Hospital Visit

Evelyn

"I'm so glad you came," Isabel said to me as I walked into the hospital waiting room. Her arms enveloped me in a strong embrace. Her lavender perfume invaded my nostrils as my cheek came flush against the her scratchy maroon sweater.

I felt comforted in Jackson's mom's embrace. In the time Jackson I were together, his mom  and I became close. She called me the daughter she had always wanted after a month of us officially dating. We regularly went to dinner together, shopped with each other, and talked to one another regularly. She became like a second mother to me.

When Jackson cheated on me and I ended it, having the demise of her and my relationship was something that made it even harder, but she never blamed me once. I wanted to remain in touch with her, but I knew it would just make things worse, so we hadn't spoke for the past few months.

"How is he," I asked as I pulled away, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot.

"He still is in a coma. They are hopeful he will regain consciousness soon, but there's really no way to tell at this time," she said her already red rimmed eyes beginning to water again.

"Wh-What happened," I asked looking down at the ground, seeing her tear up would only make me do the same.

"Someone broke into his apartment," she said shock clearly registering in her voice. Jackson lived in a good part of town, so it was shocking,"her voice became shaky at the end of her sentence. Her eyes looked off into the distance for a few moments, clearly trying to hold her emotions in so she could speak to me. "The worst part of it is, is they took nothing. It seemed their plan was to attack my Jackson, but why? It makes no sense! I know he has made mistakes in his life, but no one hates his enough to do this. I just don't understand," she shrieked, her emotions bubbling over.

I wrapped my arms around her and let her sob onto my shoulder while I gently stroked her back until she could regain her composure.

What Isabel said was true, no one hated Jackson enough to do this. He was dishonest, but nothing that would cause someone to want to try and hurt, nearly kill him.

"I'm so sorry," Isabel said, leaving my now damp shoulder and dabbing her eyes and nose with a tissue she withdrew from her pocket.

"Don't apologize, you have every right to be upset," I told her. "Do the police have any leads?"

"Unfortunately no, whoever it was left no trace."

Liam

I could feel ever fiber of my being flare with anger as I looked at the dot showing Evie's location flashing at the hospital. Not just any hospital, no, the hospital where he was. He wasn't even supposed to be in the hospital, he should've been dead. If it weren't for that pizza delivery boy, I would be rid of my problem.

2 days ago...

It wasn't hard to track Jackson down, the man posted his whole life on social media, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, you name it there was a post by post recount of his day.

Can't get through my day without my morning coffee from @Cora'sCoffeeShack. - Facebook

Followed by mindless sports retweets, a few likes of posts on Facebook and then a photo of a salad he had for lunch posted to his Instagram tagging where he bought it and bragging about it being "the most delicious salsa he ever ate."