Chapter 11: The Incident

Dedicated to JK08170615 who had been a loyal follower liking and commenting on my book. I appreciate you!

Evelyn

I rolled over in my bed to check my phone, light filtered in from the curtains, so I knew it was much later than I normally slept in. I hit the home button and 10:13 appeared on the screen as well as a few messages from Liam and two from Isabel.

I placed it back on the table, face down, unable to deal with anyone at this point.

My brain had a multitude of thoughts racing through it. My heart felt heavy in my chest, sinking in a quicksand that brought my mood down further and further.

I pulled the comforter over me to escape from the world when a knock came at my door.

Ana, why was she home I sighed and called out to her, "Come in."

I heard the door open and click closed once more. "Hey," Liam's said his voice piercing my ears in surprise. My eyes shot open and I pulled the blanket up to see if I had really woken up, I hope it was a dream I couldn't deal with this right now.  I liked Liam, but I wasn't over Jackson and that was clear to me now after seeing him last night and the fact that he came over unannounced, or possibly announced via his many texts, but the fact he had just showed up without my permission unnerved me. As the comfort of the blanket left my face Liam appeared in front of my door, flowers in hand with a smile.

"Hi," I replied awkwardly and sat up in my bed. The blanket still covering my lower half that was in nothing but some pajama shorts. "Wh-What are you doing here?"

"Well you hadn't replied and I was worried something was wrong, so I came by to check on you is all," he said sweetly. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything is okay," I replied beginning to feel a bit anxious. Ana was definitely at work, so how did he get in?

"You don't seem okay, are you feeling well," he asked stepping further into the room and placing the flowers at the end of my bed.

I nodded, unsure what to say, so I settled for a simple nod as my answer.

"Shouldn't you be at work," I asked as I watched him walk around my room, examining it as he did.

"I called off," he said simply as he walked to my window and pushed the curtain away so he could stare out. "I was worried about you, so I came here instead."

I felt my chest tighten and constrict with anxiety. It felt like sandbags were weighing me down, my whole body felt heavy with anxiety.

I moved to get up and stand by the side of my bed. "Liam, how'd you get in," I asked biting my lip and then shifting my anxiety to my fingers where I picked at the skin around my nail beds. 

"The door was open," he replied tiring to face me. "Don't you know how dangerous that is? Anyone old creep could just come in."

Liam

Seven texts.

Seven unanswered texts.

I knew she went and saw him. My blood boiled over like a pot on a stove. I couldn't take it anymore. She was ignoring me because of him.