Chapter 25: Laurel

Not edited 🤪sorry!

Liam

I loved dinner with my dolls. We never had family dinners as a child. We didn't have that loving family bond. I typically ate alone with Hannah whatever the maids he whipped up for us. So, as I grew older, I made it a goal to always have family dinner. My dolls were my family, and I loved them. However, I hated tardiness.

Laurel knew this, which is why she was punished. I hated to punish my girls, but it was the only thing that kept them in line.

We ate dinner. Abby her typical self continually stone the conversation, always trying to steer the conversation to her. Trying to make me only focus on her.

We had been together for nearly 10 years now and I loved her, but I wasn't in love with her anymore. I was her whole world, which was what I had always wanted to be for someone, but it just felt so forced. I hated that she tried to control our love, especially when she knew I was the man and I should be in control, so I grew tired of her love over time. Nothing had changed in ten years. She was the same, slightly more jealous, but still the same as she was when we met at 16.  I just felt bored with the repetition of it all. I would never let her go though. Our bond was too strong, our trust too deep. She knew some of the deepest and darkest secrets and would never tell. Abby could leave if she wanted, but I know she never will. She loves me too much.

I direct my attention to Hannah, my dear little sister. I know she wants to leave, I know she desires more than this life, but I can't trust her to leave. Not after what happened with Audrey. My fist involuntarily clenches the knife I am carving my steak with as the thought of Audrey crosses my mind.

To distract myself, I look to Laurel. Poor, sweet Laurel. I can tell her body is hurting from her consequence. She is shifting ever so slightly from side to side hoping I won't see. She knows I don't like complaining after consequences so she's trying to hide it. I'll let it slide for now, but her barely eating I have a problem with. She did this every now and again when she was craving drugs. Nothing could fill her appetite, but the drugs she had once so dearly coveted.

— — —

Laurel and I met by chance. I was on my way home from a shift from the hospital when I spotted her, laughing on the pavement right outside of city limits, not moving.

I pulled over and stopped my car to go investigate. I waited for a moment, watching to see if she would move, but she did not.

I raced through the rain drenched obsidian street, letting the water pelt my scrubs as I made my way to her.

Upon seeing her it was apparent that a car had hit her. Wherever on purpose or by accident I was unsure. Her face was a wreck. Her nose clearly broken. Cheeks concaving in, shattered, fragment shells of what they once were. One eyes was completely swelled shut. Blood was strewn across her face and on the ground around her. I assumed she was dead.....she wants.

Moments later a gurgling splutter exuded from her mouth, pelting me in the face with a saliva and blood mixture.

I hurriedly bent down beside her and she moaned in pain.

"My name is Liam," I said slowly and clearly to her one pale blue bloodshot eye that was able to open. "I'm a doctor."

Her lips moved slightly, but produced no sound.