Chapter 36: Reactions

Evelyn

I all of a sudden had the urge to vomit and rushed to the toilet only to have sour bile expel from my body.

Liam crouched beside me, holding back my hair with one hand and rubbing small soothing circles with the other.

I didn't want to turn to face him, but I had kept my head in the toilet for minutes at this point, nothing coming out of me and knew I had to.

I pulled away and slumped against the wall.

"It'll get better, I promise. The first trimester is hard, but we'll get through this together," he affirmed, scooping me into a bone crushing hug. He kissed my head in a series of soft kisses. "I love you so much," he mumbled into my hair, kissing me once more before he pulled away.

I felt like I was trapped in another person's body. I felt like I was stuck starting in a film that I never wanted to be a part of.

"Ca-can I l-lay down," I asked feeling my body shaking, my bones clicking together, a series soundless wind chimes beating together in unison.

"Of course my dear," Liam replied scooping me into his arms and carrying me toward the bed. He gently sat me upon and beamed down at me.

"Rest a bit and I'll bring you something to settle your stomach in a little bit," he said bending down to place a soft kiss on my forehead. "I love you so much Evelyn," he said before turning and exiting the room.

Liam

My heart thundered in my chest, the joy I was feeling threatening to burst out forth from me.

I heard the slightest creak of a door and stopped my pursuit to the stairs. I spied Laurel peeking from a cracked door.

"Spying are we," I called out to her. "You know how I feel about that."

She timidly opened it. "I-I'm sorry," she squeaked. "I head a loud thud. I was concerned. I didn't mean to spy."

I walked towards her and pushed the door fully opened, causing her to flinch and recoil from me in fear of consequence.

I instead cupped her face in my palm which she gingerly leaned into, rubbing up against it.

"Everything is okay Laurel, my love. I have good news actually. Our Evie is with child, it is truly wonderful," I told her, an immediate feeling of love blooming in my heart at the thought of my unborn child, something I thought I never would have. He or she would be my redemption. A shot at a better future.

Confusion passed over her eyes before blinking it away and responding, "Congratulations my love. That is wonderful."

I smiled back, understanding her confusion though it annoyed me. I never attempted to impregnate Laurel. Her tendencies to form addictions worried me. I didn't want to pass on a trait such as this to my child, my perfect child. She never spoke of wanting children, so I never spoke of my want of it to her. Laurel was troubled, but tame. She made a perfect vessel for unrequited affection and adoration, so I kept her. This life I let her live was much better than the life she would have lived on the streets. She probably would've been dead of a drug overdose by now if I left her be or release her.

"Now sweetheart, why don't you wash up and rest up. I will come for a visit real soon," I said with a sincere smile and kissed her cheek.