Chapter 34: The Test

Evelyn

I felt the nausea sweep over me quickly as I pushed the door to my bedroom open in a hurry and ran into the bathroom. The minuscule amounts of food in my stomach spilled from me.

I heard someone's steps come in after me admits my girls and pulled the hair from my face as another wave took over.

Finally, I pulled my head from the toilet after I felt my stomach settle for the time being to see Hannah standing behind me a grim smile on her face.

I took a deep breath Hannah's hands left my hair, but returned with a cup of water, which I drank greedily.

I looked up to see her leaned up against the counter and staring down at me.

"You feeling okay," she asked meekly.

I shook my head no and stared down into the empty abyss of the paper cup.

"I'm so sorry this is happening to you, Evelyn. I truly am," she commiserated.

I shrugged my shoulders. I had already accepted this, my fate.

She bit her lip nervously looking around the room before she came down to the floor on her knees and enveloped me in a bear hug.

Her lips were next to my ear, her oncoming whisper tickling the skin on the outside of it as she whispered, "I'll help you escape."

I pulled away harshly from her, pushing her with outstretched hands away from me.

"No," I bellowed, thinking it was a trick, thinking Liam set this up to test me. If I said yes that I would be banished back to the basement today.

Hannah's eyes widened with surprise and hurt. "Evelyn, please," she began but I cut her off.

"Please leave, I feel unwell. I want to be alone. Liam said I could be alone. He gave me permission. Please leave," I nearly yelled.

"Is there a problem," Liam's voice called from the doorway.

I could tell the blood had drained from Hannah's face. It was stark white as sheet of paper.

"N-no," she stuttered standing up quickly.

I stood up too, feeling my stomach had settled but kept my distance from Hannah and looked pleadingly to Liam, hoping he didn't think I was trying to cause trouble.

"Liam, can I just go lay down please. I don't feel well," I begged.

"Of course dear," he replied and reaching out to me to take my hand and led me to the bed, his hand resting on my lower back the entire time.

He pulled back the covers and motioned for me to get in which I did. He then pulled them all around me right and kissed me on the head. "Get some rest dear, I'll come check on you I'm a little bit," and then left the room with Hannah in toe.

I fell asleep quickly and slept for hours. When I woke up I saw it was ten past seven. I was late for dinner.

Fear pulsed through my body propelling my body up and forward. I rushed to untangle myself from the bed. Liam hated tardiness and I was already 10 minutes late to dinner, after what happened last month with my failed escape plan, I was not looking to anger him so soon. I could not go back to that basement. I would die if I went back there.

I hurriedly pulled my hair up into a ponytail and yanked a blue dress down from the closet. I threw it on and raced the door, hoping my makeup from earlier in the day was not a mess on my face.

As I opened it, I was met with the brick wall that was Liam's chest.

I jumped back with a slight squeak from the impact of our collision.

"I-I was coming down. I'm s-sorry I was late. I overslept. I'm so sorry," I stammered my heart feeling like it was going to explode from my chest.

"It's okay," he said calmly walking into the room and shutting the door behind him. "I understand."

I tilted my head at him, confused and curious what he meant, anxiety beginning to turn my thoughts in my head to believe his calmness was only a facade and that he would attack me once more.

"Sh-shouldn't we be getting down there," I asked my voice still shaky even though he seemed the calmest I had seen since I had arrived at his house of horrors. No darkness danced in his eyes, only their bright green shone brightly down on me.
"Didn't you come up here to get me?"

He shook his head continuing his descent into the room. "No sweetheart, I came to check on you.  How are you feeling," he asked and tucked a strand of hair I had missed behind my ear.

"A little bit better," I timidly answered.

"Good," he said rubbing my arm softly. "But I am concerned with the weight you've lost and you've been sick lately. Did you know you're late?"

"Late," I uttered my eyes going wide.

He nodded. "Yes, late. You haven't gotten your period yet, so I think it's time we took a test, just to be sure," he added the last bit as the terror blurred my vision at the thought of carrying his child.

He pulled out a pregnancy test from his pocket and I could feel tears starting to form in the corners of my eyes.

"Come in sweetheart, let's go into the bathroom," he sweetly said as he ushered me into the bathroom.

I stood still, panicked thoughts racing in my brain as he opened the box and took the test out from its packaging.

He held it out to me and my shaky hand reached out for it.

"Do you need help," he asked when I didn't make any motion to move.

I shook my head no.

"Can-can you leave the room please," I sheepishly asked as I looked down at the floor.

"No dear," he said his voice still sweet and even. "I've seen you naked and I'm sure depending on how this tests goes I'll be seeing even more, so there's no need to be shy my love. Now be a good girl and take the test please."

With shoulders hung low, I lowered my underwear and then took the test. Once finished Liam reached for it and placed it on the counter.

He pulled out a cell phone, which surprised me, and set a timer on it. If only I could get my hands on that phone, I thought, but the thought was brief being replaced with the cold dark awaiting basement.

Liam beamed at me as we waited, but all I could do was stare at the floor.

It seemed like eons before the timer finally went off.

Liam picked it up with greedy hands and came to my side.

"Let's look together," he said happiness oozing from his words.

He took his hand off the indicator and revealed my fate.

Pregnant.

Short chapter, I know but I felt like this chapter couldn't end any other way than this.

What do you think will happen now?!

What did you think of this chapter?

Remember to vote, comment, and share!