Chapter 26: Complacency

Evelyn

Breakfast ended without further fireworks. Abby continued her mindless yapping throughout dinner and then desert. When Liam finally announced we were to go to bed I almost felt relief. The other girls departed freely and I was walked to my room by Liam. My old room. The first room that my eyes opened to upon arrival to this mad house.

"Goodnight sweetheart," he said kissing me on the cheek, which I allowed. It wasn't worth the fight. I hardly even cringed as he did it this time.

"Goodnight Liam," I mumbled trying to close the door but his foot caught in the opening and wedged it open further.

"Sorry dear, but you have to earn trust to roam freely. Hop into bed, I'll lock you up for the night," he said his eyes pressing into me a fake smile plastered on his face.

Without a word, I wandered around the side of the bed that the shackle lay and got underneath the covers. He then picked it up and locked me in for the night. I hoped he would leave after that, but of course he didn't. He sat at the end of the bed, gently trailing his fingers up and down my leg.

"So, I'm hoping for no further incidents from you while you are here," he said with each gentle stroke. "We have a system in place and I would like to keep it that way. Each girl has their own night with me, I stay in their room with them and we do whatever they wish. Abby has Monday's. Laurel has Tuesday's. Hannah has Wednesday's, so you will have Thursday's."

I felt my food leaping like lava from the depths of my stomach to erupt from my mouth, but I swallowed down my disgust, knowing it would anger him further. I didn't feel like getting belted like Laurel had tonight.

"Weekends will be family nights. I may stay in some girls rooms upon request, but you may never demand it," he continued.

Don't worry, I never will, I thought repulsed by his statement.

"Also, my room is off limits, you were lucky to be graced with it yesterday my dear. It's made quite a few of the girls jealous. You can only come in if invited in," he said with arched brows. "Same as my office which you know. I try to work from home when I can, but I will be having to return to work shortly."

"Are you even actually a doctor," I responded dryly as I stared ahead at the intricate knobs of the standing dresser.

He chuckled, "Yes, yes I am, but it's been some time since I have actually worked in a hospital my dear. Now I primarily make house calls to my clients."

"Clients," I questioned.

He squeezed my thigh, in almost a warning manner, and said with a firm tone, "You know you are so curious. I just love it," but his death grip on my thigh told otherwise. "No need to worry your pretty little head about my work my dear," he said and released my thigh before standing.

"I will come check on you later on today.  I will bring some books by too to keep you occupied," he said and walked towards the door.

I slumped over on my side to stare aimlessly at the wall when he called out to me once more, "And Evie, my doll, do remember my rules," before he left the room, the lock clicking into place seconds later.

And this was the routine for the next two weeks of my life.

Liam came to my room to retrieve me for meals when he was home.