one

chapter twenty three ~ the one with the toastsJoey's POV

Joey's POV

No one had ever believed that Chandler would be getting married, it was truly a shock to us all; not only was Heather's brother getting married but he was getting married to Monica and no one expected that to happen. The proposal had been almost perfect, the only thing not perfect about it was because of Richard showing up and telling Monica that he still loved her. For a split second everyone had thought that that was the end of Monica and Chandler's relationship but she proved them wrong by sticking with her heart and knowing that Chandler was the right man for her. Even if she had really loved Richard at one point in her life, now, she was ready to completely forget about him and move forward. Out of all of the friends, Monica had been the one most desperate to get married and have a family, that was what her future looked like and now that it was happening, she was more than happy to celebrate it.

Everyone was crowded in Monica and Chandler's apartment with glasses of wine which they had poured to the rims so that they could celebrate. Monica and Chandler sat on the couch, with Ross next to them as things had slowly calmed down since everyone had heard the good news. The celebrating was still in full swing but they had been congratulated by all of their friends now and it was time to toast to the happy couple. Rachel was sitting comfortably on the armchair with her second glass of the night, seemingly happy for the couple but also slightly jealous because she wasn't getting married or even seeing anyone at that moment. Phoebe and Joey sat on the footstools because there were no other seats available and Heather sat herself on the floor, in between Joey's legs. She was happy for her brother and her best friend, glad that they were getting ready for the next stage of their lives and that they would be the next married couple out of the whole group.

"Okay, wait, wait, wait. Okay, shh!" Monica taps her glass, gaining everyone's attention as they finished their light conversations and turned to hear what the newest bride was going to say. "Uh, I just want to say that I love you guys so much and thank you for being here on my special night. Our special night." She fixes her sentence after Chandler clears his throat. "I mean, it wouldn't be my night...our night, if you all weren't here to celebrate with me. Us. Damn it!"

"It's okay. I want this to be your night, too." Chandler smiled, patting her knee before raising his glass to his friends. "To Monica."

"Will you stop it?" She pretended to be embarrassed with the toast but when everyone stopped, she quickly changed her tune and raised her glass. "Okay, to Monica!" Everyone followed suit and raised their glasses for her. "To Monica!"

Taking a sip of her drink, Heather took the chance to think about what the next few months would endure. Now that Melissa had left the company, it meant that she was able to move up the rankings and sell more houses than she had been, under her guidance. She was hoping that over the next few months, if she worked really hard then she might get promoted and get given the chance to manage part of the company because that would put her hard work to good use. It was all part of her plan, to become the best at a Real Estate company and then start up her own business because that was her big dream, to be the CEO of her own business. Her mind also floated to the idea that her brother was getting married and that she would spend the day happily dancing with her husband, loving the responsibilities of being a bridesmaid because on the day, there wasn't much to get done and all the prep would be finished weeks beforehand as this was Monica's wedding and she would want it all to be perfect.