ten

chapter thirty two ~ the one with the holiday armadilloHeather's POV

Heather's POV

This year was the first year that Ross would be looking after Ben for Christmas and he was really excited to finally share the holiday with his son. Every year, Susan would dress up as Father Christmas and would tell Christmas stories to Ben before watching him open his presents but this year, Ross wanted to take the time to tell his son all about the Jewish traditions on Christmas. Something that I knew wasn't going to be easy because all this kid cared about was presents from Santa but I wasn't going to ruin Ross's mood as we all wanted a calm Christmas without being scolded by our slightly more 'mature' friend. I agreed to stay with Monica during the day to help babysit Ben as we waited for Ross to arrive to tell us all about the Jewish traditions of Christmas. I loved spending time with Ben and had missed him ever since he started school, it felt like I hardly spent any time with him anymore.

Even though he was not a baby anymore, I enjoyed babysitting him because it reminded me of the fact that in a few months' time I would be a parent. My baby would be a new-born and would not be as big as Ben yet but it was still good to practise with a child; preparing myself for the trials of motherhood. Hopefully when the baby did come along, our friends would be happy to help out because there was no way that I was going to be able to handle this on my own and even though Joey would always be there for me; I wanted time for us to still be a couple and go on dates without the baby around. Everyone had been keen to look after Ben when he was born, so I was hoping that they'd have the same reaction when we had our baby.

Ben snapped me out of my daydream by making me chase him around the apartment, pretending to be pirates and annoying Monica; who was worried that we were going to break some of her most prized Christmas decorations. This was why I would bring Ben to my apartment, because it didn't matter if he touched anything in there; if it wasn't already broken by Joey then it obviously wasn't something breakable and we had more fun running around that apartment with no rules than when aunt Monica was watching us carefully. Soon, a knock at the door was enough to stop our pirate game and we were shocked when we opened it to find Ross wearing a giant shell suit. I had to step in front of Ben, scared that this thing was here to kill us rather than teach us about Judaism.

"I'm the Holiday Armadillo!" Ross said enthusiastically and I wondered if Ben was really buying this crap. "I'm a friend of Santa's and he sent me here to wish you a Merry Christmas."

"What happened to Santa, Holiday Armadillo?" Monica asked the question that we were all wondering because we were told that Ross was going to buy a Santa outfit, not this armadillo thing.

"Santa was unavailable so close to Christmas." Ross explained.

"Oh, well, come in and have a seat." She moved out of the way and let Ross into the apartment. "You must be exhausted coming all the way from...Texas."

"Texas?" Ben repeated, as I almost facepalmed at the ridiculousness of this conversation.

"That's right, Ben. I'm Santa's representative for all the Southern states, and Mexico! But Santa sent me here to give you these presents, Ben. Maybe one of the ladies will help me with these presents."