eleven

chapter fifty seven ~ the one with matteo's first christmas Joey's POV

Joey's POV

Christmas was always a special holiday that brought families together as they shared the excitement that the winter season brought. But this Christmas was more exciting for one couple in particular as they were about to celebrate their son's first Christmas holiday. Matteo was experiencing a lot of things for the first time and no one was complaining because it made things more interesting, the only sad thing about this Christmas was that it didn't seem to snow and that would have just made things perfect. The holiday was going to be spent in Monica and Chandler's apartment because they had the biggest place and Heather had invited as many people as possible that could make it. Some of their guests had to reject the invite as they already had plans of their own but the couple weren't too bothered because they were happy as long as they got to spend the big day with their son. Being so little, Matteo wasn't going to remember this day but they would and that was why they were making it so special.

Melissa and Nick had come over on Christmas Eve for their annual present swap and had awed at the two little babies playing on the mat together. Of course, with Charlotte being a few months older than Matteo, she was already playing more maturely and could do more things than her younger cousin. They had been gifted a lot of baby clothes and baby toys by their friends and family which they were grateful for but worried that soon there wouldn't be enough room in their apartment for all of these things. That was when Heather reminded Joey that they needed to sort out the spare bedroom soon, which was full of boxes and junk, so that Matteo could have his own nursery before he got too used to sleeping with his parents. Monica was in charge of the Christmas feast which wasn't as extravagant as the Thanksgiving meal but she had still tried to make it fancy for the guests that would be arriving throughout the day.

"Dad!" Heather squealed as she opened the front door and embraced her dad, who had travelled from Las Vegas just for the event. "You made it!"

"Well, how could I miss Matteo's first Christmas?" He questioned, looking around the apartment. "Where is he?"

"The baby's sleeping-"

"Not the baby - Joey! Where's my favourite son-in-law?"

Hearing this, Joey jumped off the couch and ran towards Charles, embracing him tightly and Chandler just frowned at the two from where he was sitting in the armchair. "Don't mind me, just the actual son that you seem to have forgotten."

Charles greeted everyone else in the room, including Chandler and handed out the presents that he had managed to fit in his suitcase. Not managing to stop himself from making a judgemental comment about how Nora was missing this big event but Heather knew that her mom was very busy and had promised to visit her grandson as soon as she was able to. Joey spent most of the Christmas morning, holding up the video recorder and capturing moments from Matteo's first Christmas, even though he was asleep in the other room; making sure to introduce ever person in the room so that their son would understand what was going on in a few years' time when he watched this back. The friends were fine with being on video and Rachel used this as a way of pretending she was famous, making sure that the camera got her best angles but the filming stopped when there was another knock at the door; the final guests arriving.