eighteen

chapter forty ~ the one with a bridal shower Heather's POV

Heather's POV

Becoming a godmother wasn't something that I had been dreaming about my entire life but I was more than happy to step up and take the title when Melissa had her daughter. I hadn't seen her for weeks, as she was adapting to the idea of becoming a new mother but now that she had had time to change her life around for her daughter, she was eager to take a break. Which was why I offered my services as a babysitter for little Charlotte so that Melissa and Nick could spend the day together instead of being parents for a few hours. It was the least I could do after they had been so busy with their new baby, and I also wanted some practise with a new-born so that I would know what to expect when my baby came along, of course, Charlotte wasn't much of a new-born anymore but she was the closest that I was going to get before my baby was born. Melissa drew up a schedule for the day and wrote down the exact times that everything needed to be done, she even left a couple of bottles of breastmilk for the baby when she got hungry.

I had some idea of what I was doing because I had babysat Ben before but that was a long time ago and this was a different baby, all babies were different and it scared me to think that soon I would have my own to worry about. The first plan was that Joey would take a day off auditioning and stay to help me because he had less experience with babies than I did and I wanted him to feel comfortable with a baby before ours was born but he ended up being dragged to a call back. Usually, we would be celebrating this but the call back was for a film where he would have to do a totally nude scene and I wasn't sure how happy I was with that. Even Joey seemed unsettled by the idea and when we talked about the consequences of that scene there were more cons than pros. The biggest one being, what if our child ever watched that film and saw their father completely naked; they would be scarred for life and there would be nothing he could say or do to get that image out of their heads.

Spending the day with a little baby was fine, except from the rule that we had to remain in the building; Melissa was worried that something would happen to Charlotte if she left the confined space of the apartment and I wasn't allowed to take her anywhere. Originally, I thought I would take her for a stroll in the park and that we could see the duck pond but that idea was shut down by the isolation rule and I was left with trying to come up with indoor games that would keep this baby preoccupied. I decided on peek-a-boo and any kind of squeaky voiced stuffed animal because she seemed to love when I spoke through the toys. Just when I had put her down to nap in our bedroom, there was a knock at the door and I rushed to answer it before it got louder and potentially woke her up. The last thing I needed was to return a rowdy baby to Melissa because she would never let me babysit again. Rachel and Phoebe came in and told me that they had put together a surprise Bridal Shower for Monica and this was their last-minute invitation for me to come.

"In an hour?" I gaped, unsure of why they thought it was a good idea to tell me so last minute about this event. "I'm babysitting."

Phoebe shrugged, not seeing the harm in that. "Well, we planned this last minute and we kind of need you there as soon as possible."