eighteen

chapter one hundred and eight ~ the one with a double surprise Heather's POV

Heather's POV

Monica and Chandler had been at the hospital overnight which was just making everyone more anxious about what was happening. They hadn't called to say that anything had happened and I was worried that something may have gone wrong with the baby. Not only was I worried for Monica and Chandler, but I was also worried for Erica; she was such a sweet girl and I knew what labour felt like. That kind of pain is something that you'd never forget and I really hoped that she wasn't feeling the worst of it. Joey tried to calm me down by making me play with the chick and the duck that he had bought as a House-Warming present for the couple but that didn't make me feel any better and Mozzarella was really not happy with the extra guests in the apartment. It made me anxious because not only were Monica and Chandler about to become parents but today was the day that Rachel was leaving for Paris. It was going to be so strange without her around and I didn't know how we would carry on without her, I was also going to miss Emma because she would be back and forth between countries all the time so we wouldn't get to see her growing up.

"Morning." Phoebe greets us as she comes into the apartment and immediately spots Joey handling a box on top of the foosball table. "What's that?"

"It's my housewarming present for Monica and Chandler." Joey replied, glaring at me from over his shoulder because he wasn't happy that I had refused to take them with us to our new house. "I wanted to keep them for our new house but Heather wouldn't let me."

"We already have a dog."

"Oh, it's a baby chick and duck!" Phoebe gasped as she looked into the box.

"Uh-huh, and I named them Chick Jr and Duck Jr."

"I did not see that coming."

"I figured they'd love it at the new house, you know?" Joey explained as he stroked the fur of the chick in his hand. "It has that big backyard. And then, when they get old, they can go to that special farm that Chandler took the other chick and duck to."

Phoebe hesitated but when I met her eyes, I nodded frantically so that she wouldn't question the farm that they had been taken to. "Yes."

"You know, it's a shame people can't visit there."

"That is the rule though."

Luckily, we didn't have to talk about the farm anymore because Ross opened the door and came inside; he didn't seem to be as excited as any of us and it was probably because he had no idea what was happening. Monica and Chandler hadn't called anyone because things were so hectic and Ross hadn't been there when Erica went into labour so he probably had no idea that he was about to become an uncle. "Guess what!" Phoebe shouted as soon as he stepped inside and almost knocked him over. "You're almost an uncle."

"What?"

"Yeah, Erica went into labour last night." Joey added.

I smiled from my seat on the armchair, taking my eyes off Matteo so that I could join the conversation for a moment. "Monica and Chandler are at the hospital right now."