six

chapter seventy four ~ the one with nanny talkHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Things had settled down once everyone went back to work and normal life resumed, I was still working on getting my offices ready and Joey was working hard on Days of our Lives. We had got the hang of working around spending time with Matteo and things weren't as hard as what they were when we first had him. The offices were mine to work with but they needed a lot of work done before they were at the standard that I wanted them to be; which was why I was taking my time and preparing to get permission to make the changes that I wanted. I wanted the foundation to be ready before employing anyone into my company and was glad that I had always been good at saving money because this was where my life savings was going. Hopefully for good reason because if this company doesn't take off then I'd be using my money for nothing. Phoebe was smitten with Mike, Monica and Chandler were on great terms and Ross and Rachel were looking into hiring a nanny so that they could both go back to work fulltime.

"Heather, why don't we have a nanny?" Joey asked me as he played on the rug with Matteo.

We had been having a chilled morning because it was the weekend and both of us had time off on the weekend. Joey was lying sprawled out on the rug and was trying to keep Matteo entertained whilst I flicked through some magazines with furniture that would look nice in my office. It was at times like these, that I was glad we had worked out a routine where we could both spend time with our son and weren't worried about work or rushing around for anyone else. This was my perfect day, just lounging in the apartment with my two boys; not a care in the world. His question made me think back to how hard we had had it when having Matteo, and how we would have really struggled if our friends hadn't been around but we had used them and gotten through the first stages of parenthood.

"We didn't need one." I replied, keeping my focus on the magazine in front of me as Joey sat up, turning his head to one side as he thought.

"Will we need one when we have another baby?"

This time I put the magazine down so that we could talk to each other properly. "I know that having two kids will be harder than one, but by the time we have another baby, we should have more flexible working hours. Once I get my company running smoothly, I can take more time off and work from home which gives me more time to be with Matteo and the baby."

"Are you sure that you can handle that?" He pondered. "I mean, it's a lot of work and I don't want to stress you out."

"Joey, you're not stressing me out. Besides, your schedule is flexible too and we can both take time off to be with the kids. Not to mention, our friends are more than happy to help."

He nodded, smiling down at Matteo, who was playing with some figurines that had been bought for his birthday. "Yeah, you're right. I never even thought about a nanny until Ross mentioned that they were interviewing someone. We don't need a nanny though, do we?" Joey leaned down to our son and tickled his stomach which made him scream with excitement. "No, we don't!"