nine

chapter seventy seven ~ the one with an interrupted wedding anniversary Heather's POV

Heather's POV

Joey and I had been married for three years. A lot of people didn't think that we'd make it to three years but then again, a lot of people had never thought that we'd make it to marriage. We'd proved them wrong and I was proud of our journey so far. Things had never been quiet but that was the way that we liked it, we loved our chaotic friends and the eventful way that things worked out; it kept everything interesting and I would never change it. But after being super busy with the office and juggling work with being a Mom, when it came to our anniversary, I didn't want to do anything. Usually, Joey and I would do something to celebrate, go for a meal or go into the city for the afternoon but this year I just wanted to sleep peacefully, without Matteo waking up at random hours for no reason. Which was why it was a godsend when Ross and Rachel offered to take care of him for the night, they wanted the cousins to spend as much time together as possible so that they would be best friends and I didn't have a problem with that. Especially when it came to them taking him for a sleepover on our wedding anniversary.

Instead of heading out to celebrate, Joey had already agreed with me that tonight we just wanted to relax. I had a movie picked out which I had been dying to see but didn't have time to go to the Theatre when it was released, Monica and Chandler had bought us some fancy wine for an anniversary present which was waiting to be opened and my mom sent some bubble bath through the mail which she had recommended and I couldn't wait to try it out. Basically, since becoming parents, we had become boring but for some reason, I didn't mind being boring. I was excited to relax without rushing around and was not even slightly worried about Matteo spending a night with Ross and Rachel. Three years of marriage and it still felt as though we were in the Honeymoon phase, we hardly ever argued and every day felt like a new adventure with Joey's unusual work routine and looking after Matteo in between shifts at the office.

My planning permission was all worked out and work had started on the office. It wasn't anything major like knocking down walls or completely renovating the place; I just wanted to change the flooring and update the décor of the place. But I didn't completely own the entire building which was why I needed the permission. Now that the go-ahead had been done, I just needed for the work to be done so I could put furniture inside and then I could start hiring staff. That was the part that I was slightly worried about because with no staff, I wouldn't have a company. It would just be me and as good as I am, I wouldn't be able to do all the work myself. Part of me wondered if I should contact some of my old colleagues and find out if they'd be interested in working with me but that wasn't fair on Mr George, who had always been nice to me. Stealing his staff seemed like a bad move.

That wasn't something to think about right now, I shouldn't be thinking about work on my anniversary. I should be focusing on how relaxed I'm feeling right now and that's how I was feeling. Joey and I were curled up on the armchair, the movie playing as he watched intently and I just listened to it in the background. My eyes were focused on my handsome husband, taking in everything about him from this angle and counting myself lucky that I was able to tie him down before someone else came along. He laughed slightly as one of the characters made a joke and I admired the crinkles next to his eyes as he smiled, he seemed happy and that was the only thing I ever wanted for him. To be happy. Nothing would make me happier in this moment, just enjoying his company and not being worried that a grumpy Matteo would start screaming the place down. Everything was peaceful, until Joey stirred slightly and turned his head down to look at me; making me smile when he gently kissed my nose.